Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hummus Recipe, a Thrash, and Wear Testing

Dang, I feel good. I feel good enough to run another 50K today and I felt the same yesterday. Ever since I  ran on Sunday and got my deep tissue shred on Monday night, I have felt good...a bit worn down and tired, but good. Larry Karasek is my massage therapist in Cuyahoga Falls and I can't recommend him highly enough. I was his last and 9th client of the day but he saved plenty for me. The keys of "breathe through it" and "relax" were key in getting through my 1hr+ with him. My back, my quads, my right calf and hamstring...all needed work. It was definitely the toughest massage I've ever had but I am walking/running proof that HE IS GOOD and knows what he is doing. He commented while I was on his high-end, body-shaping table that I'd be sore in the morning from the thrashing. Quite the opposite, actually. I felt totally renewed and wanted to run badly, but I didn't. I knew that my 50K on Sunday followed by my relaxing 6 I had on Monday morning alone was plenty and a day of rest was mandatory. After all, this is when the body repairs itself and gets stronger. Today, I feel like a million bucks and am ready to run and run far. Thanks, Larry!!! Oh yea, that table...and you ladies will love this. It literally shapes itself to your body. When you turn to your stomach, it "drops" and contours around your "curves" then freezes in that form, allowing Larry to apply the needed pressure while not crushing you and all your "parts." Pretty amazing, huh? Anyway, my recommendation for Larry is my highest for all so if you're having issues with anything or simply need to get all the "junk" worked out, please give him a shot. 330-687-3555.

As you know, I'm sponsored by Brooks and can't say enough great things about them. In addition to wearing their gear head to toe, in all I do and run in, I'm also part of their wear-testing program. This is a very hush-hush program with strict rules so I can't show pictures, discuss model names/versions, or anything. I've wear-tested 3 or 4 different times. Sometimes, I send them back with surveys so they can be evaluated and other times, I just do the surveys and keep the shoes. This time around, it's a pre-production release which I LOVE to do! It's just cool to be a part of this company's R&D (research and development) to make an excellent product even better and tuned into the runner. My new pair of "secret" shoes arrived yesterday and dang, they are SHARP!!!  With my birthday looming in just over a week and my 39 mile birthday run shaping up in my head, I'm going to give them a true test over hours and hours of asphalt that day. I do hope I get to keep this pair, but if not, that's OK, too. Anyway, I'm looking forward to being a part of the test yet again and helping make Brooks even better.

Hummus...I sure do love it. We are hosting our marriage study again tonight in our home and it's our turn to provide the snack so it was requested I make my super-yummy hummus. I love hummus and I feel like I've got the recipe down pat. I made two batches last night which are chilling in the fridge for tonight. The only difference is that in the 2nd batch, I used fresh-sliced red bell peppers to add some sweetness to it. Wow, that was a GOOD choice! Anyway, if you're interested in trying it out on your own, it's easy. Here's the recipe: Get your food processor out first and add the following: 1 can of chick peas drained (but retain that liquid for later), 2 teaspoons of cumin powder, 2 tablespoons of Tahini Paste and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, roll a fresh lemon with your palm on the counter then slice in half and squeeze the juice in. I prefer to not add the outside zest unless I really want a strong lemon taste. I opted to not put zest in this batch. Last ingredient...fresh squeezed garlic. I used a Pampered Chef garlic press and fill it up. That's it. Start the processor and slowly add the chick peas juice to get the correct consistency. Be very careful not to liquify the hummus! Once you've added too much, you've ruined it. Also, be sure to add the peppers BEFORE this liquid if using them as they have a lot of moisture within them so less liquid will be necessary. Chill the hummus before enjoying with your favorite crackers or pita bread/chips!

OK, time to run, folks. Those wear-testers aren't getting tested by sitting in the garage. Have a great day!

Run Happy and Happy Trails!

<<< UPDATE >>>

GREAT run!!! Nothing quite like the inaugural run in a new pair of Brooks. 6 miles with Mr. Moon, 35F, at a comfy 8:01 per mile pace. PERFECT way to kick off the day...literally! I'm already at 48+ miles for the week. I see me topping 60 miles this week...first time that's happened since early to mid 2010. Run Happy!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Nick, we both thank you for the kind words about Larry's massage. Like he always says, "I'm brutal, but effective!" I'm thinking he's pretty serious about that statement! Glad it helped you out.

You know where to find him when you need beaten, er, I mean fixed up!