Zero regrets sums it up pretty well. It's not just Pat Sherwood's programming, either. It's the total package, baby! My mind operates in bullet points so here's a few to explain what I mean:
- Programming: he's tracking it, creating it, and ensuring a great rotation through all the modalities without me having to worry about it.
- Dark Humor: Seriously, this is a reason. Pat has this devilish way of presenting his workouts and you only get to see this on the Private Track. He records a daily YouTube bit that is accessed via CrossFit BTWB and in it, he sums up the workout. But how he delivers it and more funny, the way he begins each one is a pre-cursor to the level of suck coming our way. Today was a perfect example...so much so, that I screen-shotted it and quoted him on my Instastory.
- One Hour: often, I'll look at the day and think "dang, we're going to be done in 30min." NEVER happens. However, we're always done in 60-65min, unless we're milking rest periods or on our phones messing around. If we stay on track, we always finish on schedule and when I have to get to work, that matters.
- CrossFit is NOT life: Pat is in his 40s, like I am. We're both dads, husbands, and have full-time jobs. Now granted, he works for CrossFit Health and I dominate my government cubicle, but the point is, that CrossFit is more a means to the goal of a long, healthy, fit life. It ISN'T life in itself. It's a tool in the toolbox. He often says "you don't need to do more than this to be perfectly fit."
- Accountability: Wait a minute...how does subscribing to Pat's programming in your garage provide any accountability? No one cares BUT ME. 'Tis true. However, when I do something, I do it all the way and I'm not about to skip a workout because of how it looks or whatever. I feel accountable to the PROCESS...to the COMMUNITY...and to MYSELF. So when I see something absurd like 10 sprints on the Airdyne, I don't roll over and go back to sleep. I show up, put in the work, and go on with life.
- Community: Well actually, there is quite a large CrossFit Linchpin Community and it's worldwide. I've enjoyed getting to "know" many of them via social media and seeing how their workouts go on a daily basis. It's been fun and in the garage, it's a little positive nugget to appreciate. Check out the Community's IG feed...it's pretty solid and Pat shares much of what the community is up to on there on a daily basis.
- Scaling is...awesome: Never have I felt so "ok" about scaling I workout. Now don't get me wrong, I don't scale unless appropriate but he "makes it ok" and offers ideas how to, even when I don't have the equipment...or the strength. Knowing the intent of the workout and the intended stimulus is key and if scaling accomplishes that, there is NO shame in scaling. My viewpoint on workouts has been revolutionized and I can attribute that to being here.
- CrossFit BTWB (Beyond the Whiteboard): With your prescription, all of the workouts, Pat's video, and all of your stats are housed here. There is a lot BTWB does but what I most appreciate is when we re-do a workout and more importantly, a lift or accessory work and it tells me what I did last time and when. No more guessing, etc. It's right there in front of me on the day.
- Responsiveness: Every once in awhile, I have a question about the workout or need a suggestion about loading, for example. I don't pester Pat with questions but when it's legit, I reach out and unless he is traveling, he responds dang quick. I really appreciate that.
- Cost: I put this last because honestly, it's not the "why" I am here but really, $10 is a crazy low cost for what I get. He mentioned just two days ago that he has no intention of raising it and Pat, if you're reading this, THANK YOU. I'd stay on, by the way, but I appreciate it, nonetheless. For the time invested, he could get greedy and try to cash in but instead he doesn't. Character matters and for me, this speaks volumes.
Pat often says that all he does is program...it's US that makes the magic happen. Well, if it weren't for the programming, there'd be no magic. Thanks, Pat. Call me a groupie or whatever but I'm proud to be a part of the community. If I'm ever near you, you can rest assured I'll track you down and hopefully throw down with you. Keep on being you. Real, authentic, cool dude, who knows what he's doing and has his priorities down pat. (pun intended)
'Till next time.