Sunday, April 22, 2012

9 Day Recap

Wow, it's been 9 days since my last post. So much has happened in these past days like turning 39 years old, a whole week of work, another 1/2 marathon run, and chocolate pancakes made just for me. Life, though, sometimes gets to the point where crawling beneath a rock is the best thing. Enter a brief hiatus from posting here. A roller coaster is the best way to describe it but as I woke up at 3:30am this Sunday morning (my body is an incredible clock), my family still sleeps and I plan to run into the sunrise...alone. Before I head out, though, I thought I'd go once again back to a "M-Cubed" kind of post and throw some bullets at you to recap some recent life:

  • I fully intended to run 39 miles on my 39th birthday this past Monday. But alas, with 81F and sun, once I reached our Tuesday night coffee shop in Kent and my bride surprised me, I was done. Good choice. The rest of the day was perfect.
  • Last weekend was spent away with the Navy. This time it was different, though. She went with me and we sprung for a hotel away from the other drilling reservists in the Navy. We went to an old school, marquis-adorned theater and saw "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" on Friday night, she spent all day reading at a Barnes and Noble on Saturday, and we had a fantastic dinner at FlipSide Saturday night...a slightly upscale burger joint new here in Ohio and oh so good. We can't wait to return there. FRESH is the perfect word for it. All of it. I highly recommend the fresh onion rings to start and the "Green Eggs and Ham" burger.
  • It was Friday morning and we headed out at our normal 4:30am for a gorgeous starlit run on our normal country course. A rare passing of a car was behind us and as we hugged the side of the road tightly, her left foot slipped off the asphalt, rolling her ankle, followed by her crashing to the ground. Two cut up knees, a swollen ankle, a rib that is all out of sorts...all still present this morning. I want my running partner back...yea, I'm greedy. I am praying for a quick recovery.
  • Yesterday was the On My Own Two Feet Marathon and Half Marathon. We had planned to run it together. But, as she woke up yesterday and looked at her "cankle," that wasn't going to happen. Still, though, she helped out at the start/finish while I ran with one of our best friends for the whole race. It was a cold, rainy morning but a great one, nonetheless. This first year event is now going to contribute $5000 to domestic violence in Kent. That's a pretty awesome thing for a brand new event and proof of what can happen when so many pull together for a great cause. It was great to see so many of my running friends on the course supporting the cause.
  • Less than 2 weeks to go until I leave my current cubicle at work and start a one year assignment in a different office. I was promoted just a few weeks ago and am really looking forward to the new challenge. A new city, new co-workers, a new morning drive in to work, and a step in the right direction. I am looking forward to it!
  • Have you heard about the movie "Chimpanzee?" It's a DisneyNature movie that just opened on Friday. My wife read the "Making Of" this movie while at Barnes & Noble last weekend and can't wait to see it. It took nearly 3 years to film this true story. It is definitely a family movie we'll all see very soon. Here it is.
  • I wrapped up mileage in the mid-40s this past week and feel very good. In fact, I felt like I hadn't run after yesterday's half marathon. I definitely had a whole marathon in me but that was never the plan and I was perfectly OK with that. It's nice to know that I have it in me, though. This upcoming week will most likely be a dip in mileage due to some late-week plans but that's OK.
  • We found a new winery these last few days. Ironically, it's right here in our small rural town...only 5 miles from our doorstep. We loved it! It's an old home made into a winery and tasting room. I especially like it because of how everything they serve is locally sourced. Along with a sweet white wine, I enjoyed a fresh made black bean burger. It was soooo good. To end the evening, we shared a homemade apple pie. Not just a slice of a pie, either. It was in its own little pie plate, fresh and steaming hot out of the oven. Homemade crust and not too sweet. Two forks and a few final toasts and we capped off the night perfectly. Here it is if you want to check it out.
  • Last night as my oldest daughter and wife headed to church for Cooking Night, my youngest and I stayed home with each other. "You ready for me to make you pancakes, Dad?" Not just any pancakes, either. Chocolate chip pancakes...lots of chocolate chips. Out came the recipe, the measuring spoons, the mixing bowl, the skillet, and the oven top set to 4. Did I mention she's only 8?! Only a few times did I hear "Can you reach that for me? Can you get down the brown sugar?" Watching her make the pancakes and point out how the batter was browning and bubbling on the skillet really melted my heart. The pancakes, though? The richest ever. I could eat only 5 little ones! There are plenty left for breakfast this morning. :-) I am blessed!
  • Friends, life is short. Let me encourage you to lead it selflessly. Put those entrusted to your care before yourself and love on them. Kiss, hug, and embrace every moment you have with them. You never know when it will be the last. If you can live every day as if it may be, you will find fulfillment. No regrets, a clear conscience, and your focus where it should be...live life to its fullest!
  • How about a few photos from the past week....
She made homemade guacamole. OH...MY...WORD. So good!

A great photo from the new winery.

Chocolate Pancake goodness.

"Would you like some batter with your chocolate?"

Stuffed.

Homemade Apple Pie at Barrel Run Winery

A brief stop on my birthday run.


No comments: