Monday, June 30, 2014

M-Cubed for 6.30.2014

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for June Thirtieth, Two Thousand Fourteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- 2014 = 50% complete! As June 30th arrives, so does the end of June and the first 6 months of 2014. Great time for a status check of goals, things gone by, and things to come and make course corrections as necessary. Here are just some random thoughts for me:
  • I am finding it difficult to get in the monthly mileage I set out to maintain. I could do if I sacrifice more family time, though. That is not an option, though. I have to be happy and satisfied with what I have accomplished and move on.
  • There is one unspoken area in my life that I have been pursuing for years. However, it continues to not come to fruition. This Spring was the hardest pill to swallow as it didn't happen yet again. I believe it's time to read the writing on the wall and accept that I am exactly where I am supposed to be...right now. I need to not let this dark cloud darken what good is happening right in front of me.
  • I have set more personal records this Spring than ever before. I may be 41, but I also feel like I'm nearly in the best shape of my life. It pings in my mind as to what else I am capable of...and perhaps what stones I should turn back over and attempt again.
  • I have only a smattering of races on my calendar (see tabs at top of blog) for the rest of the year and some are on my mental chopping block. I'm swaying back and forth regarding what I really want to do and where I want to do it.
  • This year, my wife and I have led a marriage study for 11 weeks and Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University for 9 weeks. Both went well but we have no plans to do anything further unless led to do so. I have, however, helped others privately to get them on the path to financial freedom and enjoy that much more. I love to teach and lead...but I don't know what's next. I'm ready and willing...but will wait for the "nudge". I'm in no hurry.
- I said to my wife a few days ago: "My departure from this world would have a much larger impact on those around me who care and count on me as compared to how much I care about going away." Before you jump to conclusions like I'm suicidal, let me expand a bit. We all go through valleys of self-doubt, self-worth, etc. We do...and you know it. You may be there right this second. The truth is, so much of what we "hear" in our brains is a box full of lies. On the outside, unless you are just a hateful, evil person, people count on you, they love you, and YOU matter....I matter. If you're a mother or father, you have kids who need you. As I sat with my wife, simply fleshing these thoughts out a bit, I mentioned people like herself, my girls, my fellow sailors, my parents, and a very few close friends who'd actually notice my departure and grieve over it. It wasn't a self-promoting conversation...it was more of a "I do matter...this life IS worth living and being the very best I can be in every aspect. It's NOT about me. At one point, I'm ashamed to say it probably was but I know it's not any longer. If it were, then none of my observations about my departure would ring true." So when I feel like "Ya know...I would be happier simply not waking up tomorrow," I need to think about those I love, serve, and who count on me to wake up in the morning. It's about them, you know...and my charge to serve, protect, love, and be there for. My happiness will come as a great side effect to it all. 

- I saw the new Transformers movie yesterday and in grand style: 3D and in the IMAX theater. WOW! I had never seen a feature film in an IMAX theater, much less a 3D movie. Not only was the floor-to-ceiling screen amazing but the sound was cranked up. Pricey at $13 but if you're going to see a movie in those conditions, I'd have to insist that Transformers is the perfect movie to watch in it. The movie has gotten beat up in reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a Transformers fan since being a kid, I was entertained from start to finish. The only thing I'd change is the length...2hrs, 45min. That's a bit long, even for my bladder. I'd give it, overall, 4 out of 5 stars. 

- So where am I for mileage for June and for 2014? Well, I knew that the Highlands Sky 40 miler would hurt my overall mileage, especially since it beat me up a lot worse than expected and kept my post-race mileage pretty meager. As expected, I didn't hit my 200 mile mark for June but it still ended up as a respectable number at 185.2 miles. For 2014, I sit at 1,169 miles which averages out to 194.83 miles per month, well above any other year in my life. I'd still like to recover my mileage and get my overall average/month to 200 miles per month and finish 2014 at 2400 miles. Honestly, I'm only 5.17 miles off of my monthly goal so that's not too shabby...and I'm injury-free. That's a significant jump (over 200 miles) over any prior year. As for my new everyday-running streak that I began on June 19th, it's still on! Some days, like yesterday, I only got 1.7 miles in to keep it alive (1 mile per day minimum) but it's still on. Here is the month of June below:


- I take photos...a lot during my morning runs. Here are just 3 from this past week. From the color along the route to a selfie from a 91% humidity run last week under threatening skies:




- I'd like to leave you with a whole different kind of quote today and a short article from The Minimalists. It's on gossip. Yea, yea, yea...you may (or may not) roll your eyes but these realities simply can't be denied. I'd like to challenge you to give it a quick read and think about what your words can do...for the negative. Here is the article and below is a quick excerpt from the article. My wife and I are really looking forward the seeing The Minimalists on tour in Cleveland in a few short weeks from now!

An old proverb tells the story of a person who repeated a rumor about a neighbor. Soon, the whole community had heard the rumor. Later, the person who spread the gossip learned that the rumor was untrue. He was very sorry and went to an elder in the community who had a reputation for great wisdom to seek advice. The elder told him, “Go to your home and take a feather pillow outside. Rip it open and scatter the feathers, then return to me tomorrow.” The man did as the elder had instructed.

The following day, he visited the elder. The elder said, “Go collect the feathers you scattered yesterday and bring them back to me.” The man went home and searched for the feathers, but the wind had carried them all away. Returning to the elder, he admitted, “I could find none of the feathers I scattered yesterday.” “You see,” said the elder, “it‘s easy to scatter the feathers but impossible to get them back.” So it is with gossip; it doesn’t take much to spread hurtful words, but once you do, you can never completely undo the damage.

Have a great week, everyone! Go do good for someone who won't expect it! (and expect nothing in return!)

P.S. One last thing. I typed most of this post prior to today's 9.9 mile run. (That's RunnersOCD for ya!) The photo below is how it ended...and if you know me, you know I hate snakes more than anything else on Planet Earth...especially venomous Copperheads. Yea...right in my running path within 1/2 mile of finishing.


No comments: