Monday, June 2, 2014

M-Cubed for 6.2.2014

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for June Second, Two Thousand Fourteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- BAM! It's June! I was at a Chili Cookoff yesterday with my church to raise money for a youth multi-day concert event and while talking to a friend there, mentioned how quickly it's difficult to imagine blowing snow and ice while sweating in the afternoon sun at a picnic. While we won't soon forget one of the worst winters in recent history, it does seem further in the past than it really is. I swear...if I hear one person complain about it being hot...REMEMBER, folks! Better hot than what we just came out of! :)

- Well, my OCD did NOT get a hold of me for my monthly mileage in May. My unwritten goal was to get in 221 miles for May so that I'd average the whole year out to 200 miles per month..exactly. I didn't get 221 but I did get 204.8 that inches me closer to that average...still way ahead of any other year in my life. June is probably not going to be huge due to my big goal race right in the middle at the Highlands Sky 40 Miler in West Virginia. Lesser miles leading into and taking it easy followed by the recovery won't lend my running log a huge month. No worries, though...it's just a log..right?! Here's my log so far this year...ugh! I got a decimal in a month! ARGH! :)

- Speaking of Highlands Sky, I have my new pair of Brooks Pure Grit 3's on order. They were released on Saturday so the order has been placed! I'm praying they fit the same as others in the Pure Project family so I can wear them at the race. I just need to get them and wear them on some trail for a few miles to get the fit right before I take them to West Virginia for my trek up the mountains.

- Did you see the news about the Army soldier who was released over the weekend? He was the only POW in Afghanistan...for the past 5 years. Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was released in exchange for the release of FIVE high-level Taliban insurgents from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba where they've been held for years. Here is the story from Stars and Stripes, outlining details of the debate over this exchange. I'll leave my opinion aside here...but I will say this: the release of 5 insurgents who want nothing more than to kill the infidel (that would be US!), doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy.

- Miss my race report from Saturday's Medina Half Marathon? It was a GREAT one! Read it here.

- We graduated 7 families from Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University on Thursday night! While we began with 9 families, seven stuck it out for all 9 weeks, did all of the homework, watched the lessons from Dave Ramsey himself, and participated in the discussions. Even though it was only 9 weeks, everyone made progress towards their goal of financial peace. Details aside on the financial dollar side, we did cut up a cumulative 20 credit cards in the process. As for debt, some was paid off by some and none by others...but for those who didn't, they can at least see the light of day now, they are operating on a budget for the first time ever, and they have a plan moving forward. The #1 "side-effect" from it all was a closeness built as a couple and reduced stress over money. It's not just about the money! Working together, hand-in-hand, has a lot more tangible benefits than just a reduced/eliminated debt load. It was a great class and only history will show if we'll take another class though the 9 weeks again in the future. CONGRATULATIONS to all of the graduates of FPU!
FPU Graduates outside of the township's Town Hall (that we used for FREE!)
- I read a few blog entries yesterday that really bring it home when it comes to "speaking" and "serving" one another in a relationship. One speaks to the men and one speaks to the women. Both are excellent, simple, and short HUGE items to understand when moving forward along this journey called "life" and "marriage." If you don't get these things right, you really are cutting yourself (and your family) short and not experiencing what "could" be in your life. Remember: we are wired so incredibly different so the sooner you get that, the sooner pure joy can be pursued and achieved.
- This past week, I enjoyed a few miles (14.2 to be exact) along a new bike trail outside of Columbus, Ohio. 14.2 wasn't the plan but I got a little lost...sort of. Regardless, it was a fantastic run and I saw lots of wildlife out there. From a big snapping turtle (shown below) to countless rabbits to lots of deer to birds singing that I didn't recognize, it was a great run. I also caught this photo below of a deer at sunrise within the resting fog...beautiful (just not high quality) shot!


- As I say goodbye this morning and get this week going, I leave you with another quote I ran across this past week. Have a great week, everyone!

"Prioritize: Take an honest look at your average week, identify your inefficient uses of time and eliminate the things that don't serve your goals. No matter how busy you are, if you are truly honest about this inquiry, I guarantee you can make some cuts and carve out some time. Remember: Nothing changes if nothing changes."

-Rich Roll, ultra-distance endurance athlete

No comments: