Monday, July 5, 2010

M-Cubed for 7/5/2010

Monday Morning Musings for July Fifth, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Federal Holidays are a wonderful thing.  Today marks my last day of vacation/Independence Day weekend combo.  Been off work since June 25th and another 10 days would suit me just fine!

- Had I had the time, I would've written a few other blog posts since my last post about our Delaware River canoe trip. The day after (Wednesday), we just vegged out, spent time at the pool, and "chillaxed."  Thursday, we checked out of the resort a day early and headed south 2 1/2 hours to Hershey, PA...the home of THE chocolate bar.  I had been there years ago, briefly, and our girls had never been there.  What a wonderful time we had!  A tour of Chocolate World (a narrative ride through the chocolate-making process), examining the shelves and shelves of chocolate bars, kisses, and the other brands they make like Twizzlers, Jolly Ranchers, etc.,  (ever smell a Jolly Rancher candle?  YUM!) and a narrated Trolley ride through the town of Hershey.  What a fantastic story that place is.  A man (Milton Hershey) who repeatedly failed but never gave up ended up with huge success and has left a legacy (since his death in the 1940's) that will last generations.  I could tell you the story but honestly, people of all ages should visit Hershey and see it for yourself.  It won't disappoint.  After a great day, we drove 5 hours home...very tough ride back.  Took a lot of teamwork to keep each other awake on that one.

- My return to Oil Creek finally came to fruition on Saturday.  I'd been longing for a return since finishing the Oil Creek 100 Miler last fall but couldn't ever make it happen.  It is 1hr, 45min from my home and is located in the birthplace of the oil industry in NW Pennsylvania.  A good group of 20+ met at 7am for a run on the course, a 27 mile loop around Oil Creek State Park.  If you recall last Monday's post, I mentioned that my adductor soreness returned and I might not run the rest of the week.  Well, I didn't run at all until Saturday at Oil Creek.  I ran conservatively and smartly.  The trail was dry and not slippery.  However, around mile 15 or so, the soreness ratcheted up and at Mile 20, I bowed out of the trail and took the Bike-n-Hike back to Petroleum Center, our starting point.  So, I got in 25 miles instead of 27 but those last 5 on the bike-n-hike were nearly all walking.  I couldn't run anymore.  In the end, I was extremely thankful for my return to Oil Creek.  It was surreal when I arrived there, still with the heavy fog over the steel grate bridge.  I remembered that scene during the race.  I remembered everything so vividly.  So worth the trip so no regrets.

- No surprise, I took my camera to Oil Creek and got some great photos of the course and major landmarks.  View all 53 here along with the group photo and the bench that I took a 2min nap on during the race last year.  I didn't have my camera with me last October so I wasn't about to miss this opportunity.

- I need some help.  Hope "Hopeinator" Magnus made a challenge to me a few months back.  As many of you know, I wear the blue blaze version of Dirty Girl Gaiters on the trail.  She is an avid Bondi Band wearer.  They are like a head band...for girls.  The challenge was this: find a blue blaze Bondi Band and I'll wear it, along with a blue tech tee, blue/black shorts, and of course, my blue blaze gaiters from start to finish of the Buckeye Trail 50K on July 17th.  Well, she hasn't had very good luck and supposedly, found a substitute.  Below is the comparison photo.  I need your input/vote.  Did she fail or did she meet the challenge?  I'm definitely not fond of that glitter stuff I see on her substitute.  What do you think?

- Like the new blog header photo?  I already miss the last one that I took on my 30-mile hike on the Appalachian Trail but it was time for a change.  Besides, I set up my timer on my Canon and grabbed this photo at Oil Creek on a very unique bridge.  Not sure why they built it this way since there really isn't any obstruction there but it's cool, nonetheless.

- I think it's time to scrap the phrase "No Pain, No Gain."  Granted, sometimes pain is necessary to gain the intended reward.  However, in my ongoing adductor troubles, I hereby rephrase it to "No Brain, No Gain."  The pain thing just isn't working out for me!  Brain, on the other hand...well, I guess that means no running?  Who knows.  One thing I DO know is that I'll be back at my new massage therapist this Thursday evening.

- About a month ago, I wrote about my consistent pursuit of goals just barely out of reach.  If I'm not challenged in one part of my life, I'll continue to stack up things to fulfill the mostly subconscious hunger for the challenge.  With a so-far sleeper of a year, I woke up on Friday morning after Hershey on Thursday and dusted off the frame, pumped up the tires, and took my triathlon bike out on the road for a 20-miler.  It was like old times.  It's been nearly 10 years since I last did a triathlon (1/2 Ironman in Florida) but being back in the saddle...it was like wetting my appetite again.  So what did I do when I got home?  I started researching local triathlons and wetsuits.  A wetsuit is all I need...I still have everything else.  I'll let you know if I act any more on this reborn "impulse."  There is an Olympic distance tri on July 25th about 20min from my house...

- We don't live in Stow, but we're off to Stow's Fourth of July Parade this morning.  It is the most diverse, long parade that I've ever seen.  We've gone the last two years and want to keep that tradition going.  Icing on the cake is that we sit right in front of the Target which has a Starbucks inside.  It's the little things, right?

- So with that, I hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day and surrounding weekend.  Do me a favor: if you put up your flag for the holiday, how about keeping it up now?  Fly it 365 days a year?  Just a thought.

Have a great week, everyone and Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Hopeinator said...

I'm still hoping the pain goes away and you'll be kicking Oil Creek's 100 mile butt! Keep us posted...we always like reading your updates!
Hope