Monday, July 26, 2010

M-Cubed for 7/26/2010


Monday Morning Musings for July Twenty-Sixth, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Marjie finally returned from her 5-day trip last night from the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  She always cooks...always.  But me, trying the creative side, took on the challenge and tried to time it just right so it would be ready for the 4 of us when she got home just after 8pm.  I found a great turkey burger recipe that used ranch mix, Worcestershire sauce, and 3 cloves of garlic.  I also took all of our remaining red-skinned potatoes, cut them into wedges, laid them out (skin side down) on our rectangular stone,  and brushed olive oil over them and sprinkled them with shredded parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and basil.  About 45min later at 400F in the over and they were done.  End result? Those burgers were NOT that good.  No one but me finished them.  Kinda dry, kinda grainy...not great flavor and zero ranch flavor.  Oh well.  The baked fries, though?  AWESOME!  I'll make those again.  It's the thought that counts, right?  RIGHT???!!!

- I saw Dr. Shah on Friday and he agreed that a MRI is the next step of my adductor region and so it is ordered...this Wednesday, in fact.  I'll then see him on Thursday to get it read.  The treatment could go multiple directions depending on what it shows.  I'll report back.

- The 4th Annual Burning River 100 Mile Endurance Run is THIS Saturday and Sunday!!!!  I spent much of Sunday afternoon exchanging e-mails with the race director as I built a "virtual goodie bag" for all of the runners.  It's a neat concept that brings the sponsors and their sponsored discount into the inboxes of the runners instead of printing a bunch of cards or flyers.  If you are one of them, you'll get it mid-week.  For me, I'm not running the BR100 this year (obviously) but I will be at Mile 64 (Happy Days Aid Station) working until Kathleen comes through in the evening when I'll join her and pace her the final 36 miles to the finish on Sunday morning.  The BR100 is the 2010 USA Track & Field 100-Mile Trail National Championship so registration numbers went through the roof this year.  It's going to be an awesome weekend!  You can witness the finish line, if you'd like, at Falls River Square all morning long next Sunday.  Deadline to cross that line is at the 30hr mark which is 11am Sunday.

- Another foodie post: I've always wanted to make homemade hummus but I discovered that even though a food processor is standard issue for most newlyweds, ours made its way to the garage sale floor some time ago.  It's an essential ingredient to make hummus.  The girls and I found one on Saturday along with the ingredients and made it together Saturday night.  One can of chick peas, tahini paste, one lemon's juice, some lemon zest, cumin, salt, extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic.  I got some Kashi crackers and pita chips to eat it with.  BAM!!!  That was awesome!!  We made another batch last night but cut the cumin in half and deleted the salt.  A little tweaking was needed.  Very, very good.  For future batches, a friend suggested going half and half with the chick peas and light red kidney beans...I'll try that.  I also want to try spinach and roasted red peppers.  I'm amazed that my girls love this stuff, too.

- The 5th Annual Muddy Paws Trail Runs were on Saturday morning.  It consisted of a 2-mile run/hike with your dog and 5 and 10 mile race options.  I needed to be near home at church for an 8am men's breakfast/feast so I showed up at Pine Hollow at 5am to set up and assist in packet pickup until 7:15am when I had to leave.  It was great to see so many of my friends (and their 4-legged friends) out at the Sound of Music Hills...and great to see Mark from The Morning Team on WCRF, 103.3FM.  He and Benny were out there to tackle the trails. This year's event surpassed 400 runners (a record) and the Summit County Humane Society will reap the benefits!  Thanks to all who came out!!!!

- I mentioned last week that I was considering a triathlon yesterday...MiltonMan, only 15min from my house at Lake Milton.  Considering how much work I need in the pool, I decided to skip it until I can get back in shape for swimming.  I'll be swimming and spinning a lot from now on and will try to get in at least one tri this season before it ends.

- I had a very cool run on Friday night.  With Marjie out of town and my girls at home with me, it was nearly impossible to get out and swim, bike, or run this weekend since leaving them at home alone would constitute a visit from Child Protective Services so since they were at Marjie's parents' house this evening AND I saw that a 96% full Mr. Moon was rising behind my house, I decided that a late night run was in order.  I also saw lightning in the distance.  At about 9:15pm, I headed out on Mr. Moon's 7mi hilly farmland route with no headlamp...just his light to illuminate the road.  It was cool to run with the crickets and lightning bugs who aren't present at my normal run time of 4:30am.  The air was thick as soup, too.  After I made the 3.5mi turn for home, the storm was fast-approaching and a cool breeze was pushing in and the dark clouds were overtaking the clear moon-lit sky.  With 1.5mi to go, I got caught in a downpour which quickly ended but super-bright lightning flashes were giving me a bit of a scare and my pace quickened instantly.  The winds continued to pick up, the lightning and thunder grew, Mr. Moon disappeared, and the skies opened up just as I returned home.  It really was a great run.

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

No comments: