Monday, March 1, 2010

M-Cubed for 3/1/2010

Monday Morning Musings for March First, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Get out of here, February. You aren't welcome here anymore. Hello March and warmer temps ahead!

- February also marked one heck of a cruddy month of running. Less miles run this month than when I weighed 50 pounds more. I ran so few miles (not by my own will), it sickens me. Messin' with my head? How'd ya guess?

- I wouldn't be human if I didn't question my participation in May's Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 in Virginia. However, since the refund policy remains the same until late April, nearly everyone has told me to hold off from withdrawing from the MMT given my lack of training. (again, not by my own will) Look how easy they make it to withdraw.

- Many hours gone but well spent on another edition of the Western Reserve Trail Running newsletter, set to "mail" tomorrow morning to nearly 700 hungry trail runners. Chock full of good stuff this month including: Fools Trail Run preview, Pam Reed coming to the CVNP (2-time Badwater 135 winner), Trail Runner Spotlight, Run with Your Heart Race Report by Beth Trecasa, XTERRA Ohio Trail Run Series update, Buckeye Trail maintenance projects firing up this spring!, and some registration updates from Forget the PR, Muddy Paws, and the 2nd Annual Bobcat Trail Marathon. Not signed up? It's free and easy. Just let me know if you don't get it and I'll add you to the list!

- Along with the newsletter, I updated the collage representing the 2010 WRTR Series. Let's think for a minute: how many miles total by all of the participants are represented here? How many stories will be made and told for years to come? How many calories will be burned? Isn't it awesome what we have right HERE in Ohio? Puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

- 2 1/2 years ago, I raised my right hand and took the Oath of Office and was sworn in as a brand spankin' new Navy Supply Corps officer. I embarked on a new chapter in my life that first had to start with getting qualified as Supply Corps officer. That chapter will be closed soon...very soon, as I travel soon to beautiful Athens, GA for the final time and make it a done deal. Athens is an awesome town and it stinks that I won't ever return there, especially since they are moving the schoolhouse to a new location. Lots of Naval history there and a beautiful museum representing the heritage of the Supply Corps. Looking forward to seeing all my classmates one last time! The Grit, the Appalachian Trail in northern Georgia, and a march across the stage at graduation...let's roll! FINALLY...NAVY RESERVE: READY NOW. ANYTIME. ANYWHERE.

- A huge shout-out goes to my bride for running 5 non-stop miles yesterday...first time ever for her! She is well on her way to running her first 1/2 marathon in May at Flying Pig in Cincy. Way to go, Babe! Before you know it, you'll be getting back home after an "easy" 10-miler and lovin' every second of it!

Shorts, 35F, a rolling countryside, and Old Glory gently blowing in the breeze atop a temporarily snow-covered hillside...I had a great run this morning. Make March a great one, friends, and Happy Trails!

No comments: