Monday, March 15, 2010

M-Cubed for 3/15/2010

Monday Morning Musings for March Fifteenth, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- A little sore on the outsides of my knees and beneath my right ankle bone, but all-in-all, I came out unscathed from my 30 glorious miles on southern section of the Appalachian Trail that runs through northern Georgia in the Chattahoochee National Forest. I won't be writing a report or anything like that about my trek. Some things are best left right where they were experienced...on the trail and in my head. It was a glorious day, though. I was on the trail at 6am and finished up around 4pm. A lunch break, lots of time taking about 100 pictures (50+ are available here for your enjoyment), and occasional stops to talk with hikers on the trail defined the day. I'm guessing I climbed about 8000 +/- feet in elevation based on the gaps and summits I went through and over. Honestly, the pictures (mostly taken in wide angle) tell the story of my day very well so please, take a look! (you do NOT need a Facebook account to view them) One thing I learned very quick after starting was that even though I planned on hiking all day and not running, I am not a hiker...I am a runner at heart and a trail-runner in my heart of hearts. With that said, I treated the day like a make-believe 100-miler and ran that way...slow and steady, power-walking the hills, running the flats and downhills, and being very, very careful on the thousands of moving rocks beneath my feet. At the pace I averaged all day, fully self-supported, I'd finish far before the cutoff at MMT in May. We shall see...


- More about the AT...very happy I was to easily knock out 30 miles on the trails after such low mileage throughout 2010 so far...proof that I haven't lost my endurance base. :-)

- Only a few days ago and it's goodbye to Athens, GA forever. This Friday morning at 10am, myself and 28 other fellow Navy Supply Officers will graduate from the U.S. Navy's Supply Corps School. It also ends one chapter that began on September 1, 2007 when I was commissioned as an officer and begins the next chapter when I will finally be able to be a usable asset to the Navy. Great stories to be lived in the future! Little Factoid: did you know that Regis Philbin was a Navy Supply Officer? He sure was!


- I found this coolest pizza shop here in Athens that has stolen a little bit of my business away from The Grit that I love so much called Your Pie. Made to order pizzas (choose white or wheat fresh dough) for 6 to 8 bucks and cooked right in front of you in 4 minutes in a brick/wood oven. So darn good and easy to make a healthy pizza! Yesterday, in celebration of Pi Day (3.14), they sold all of their pizzas all day for $3.14. Truth be told...I had one for lunch...and dinner. The one at dinner was one I was very anxious to try...the Hippies Pie...check out these ingredients: wheat dough with olive oil spread on top, Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Sauce with low fat mozzarella Cheese, Tofu, Spinach, Artichokes, Baby Bellas, Banana Peppers and Roasted Garlic. YUM!

- Shocking to me, but it turns out that my parents are going to re-open their homemade ice cream shop next month. Some guy actually stopped my mom out in town and told her "You need to open back up. Consider it a public service." Ha! Lots of people have been voicing their demands for my dad's best-ever homemade ice cream and the girls who work there did their part in petitioning my parents, too. In the end, it was decided to open the doors once more. Since neither of my parents care for the "Facebook-Generation," I took the lead and created a fan page at
http://facebook.com/billocksicecream. This will be the main way to announce new flavors throughout the summer and other happenings at the shop. Just become a fan and stay in the loop! I cannot wait for my favorite Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter. Hmmmm.....

- My Garmin Forerunner 205 died last week. When I headed out to Oconee National Forest on Tuesday, it was dead and I thought I had left it on all night. When I got back and put it on the cradle, it was fully charged...hmmm. I did all the trouble-shooting from Garmin's website and talked to a rep there with no luck. Dead battery. I bought it back on August 22, 2007 from Vertical Runner. A rechargeable battery's life is dependent on how many times you charge it and since I run with mine on at all times, I charge it a lot...but I shouldn't have charged it until it was necessary. Often, I'd charge it just to "top it off." Not a good idea. Anyway, I was presented with about 3 options: 1) buy the latest and greatest 310XT..that'll set me back about 300 buckaroos. In my pre-budget days, I would've just charged it and been done with it. In these days, I'm not willing to give up that kind of cash. 2) buy a new 205 off of eBay for around $135 shipped. Not a bad option at all since I've been 110% satisfied with it. 3) send back my dead Garmin and pay Garmin $69 total to either fix it or send me back a fully rebuilt 205 (possibly new...we shall see in a few days). I'll take a rebuilt one, for sure. Another 2-3 years of service for 69 bucks? Sign me up! I had it in the mail to Garmin's headquarters in Kansas on Wednesday afternoon and their website already says it's been received and a "replacement" is on the way. Cha-ching!

- Marjie (my wife) is totally rockin' it out. Like many newbies to running, she "never thought she'd ever run that far." This past Saturday, she ran 6 then 7 yesterday. Six had been her longest ever a week ago. As I've always told her, it'll get easier and easier and she agrees! I just think it's so cool for her to be running now. This upcoming weekend, I'm going to run her 8 with her then take her out and a few other friends to West Branch State Park and run some trails. Before she knows it, she'll be crossing the finish line of the Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon and will have that piggy-medal draped over her neck. I can't wait to share that with her! She's a blogger now, too, so if you want some inspiration or read about her own journey, stop on by her blog. It's linked in my blog roll or just click here.

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Paige said...

Great entry today, Nick :)

I checked out Margie's blog and I was smiling reading her "why I love my husband" entry...you all are too cute!!! It's awesome the training she is already up to, very impressive!

Great job out there on the AT. I'm totally jealous as I'm on the bench for a bit due to my nagging injuries :( Keep on keepin' on Navy Supply Officer Billock!