Monday, March 8, 2010

M-Cubed for 3/8/2010

Monday Morning Musings for March Eighth, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Ahhh.....Athens, GA. It's good to be back for one last visit. Today marks Day 1 of a my final 2 weeks in Athens and one that will be marked by graduation on March 19th from the U.S. Navy's Supply Corps School...the place all Supply Officers have passed through for decades upon decades before they went out and served across the globe. This chapter of my Naval career began on September 1, 2007 when I re-entered the Navy as a Reservist and began the training program. Once graduated, I become a "usable asset" as I like to say. As the Navy Reserve's motto says: Ready Now. Anytime. Anywhere. In fact, nearly 1/3 of my graduating class has already received notification of orders to the sandbox. The Navy sure doesn't waste any time!

- With a forecast of 72F and sunny today, sleeping in and reserving a run for the late afternoon is the plan. Running in 70F weather sounds like a dream right now after escaping the clutch of a seemingly never-ending NE Ohio winter.

- It's nearly time to re-work my blog again as that picture at the top (although I truly love it and that section of trail) is all about the cold, snowy trails in northeast Ohio. Spring is coming so I'll be on the prowl for another representative photo for RTRSBM. Something tells me that I'll have no problem finding one.

- I'm no vegan. I love a great burger, no doubt. However, I love, Love, LOVE a great vegan restaurant. THE one is down here in Athens...The Grit. I found it late in my last visit so only visited twice. Not so this time, though. I think I'll just start a tab. It is so unbelievably good. I can think of so many of my running friends who would love this place and would agree. Check out this rockin' menu.

- I miss my work cave. NOT!

- I can't quite figure out why "The Hurt Locker" cleaned up at the Oscars last night. Marjie and I watched it last week and upon finishing, thought it was OK and gave it 2 out of 4 stars. Then, I heard about all the nominations and how it was in the running for Best Picture and a run of many other categories. To me, The Blind Side trumped that movie AND Avatar and deserved the award. It was good to see Sandra Bullock take home Best Actress, though, for her role in The Blind Side. Great acceptance speech, too.

- If you ran or volunteered in this past weekend's Green Jewel 50K, Shamrock 15K, or Mill Creek 1/2 Marathon...way to go! Clearly, it was the weekend (along with the balmy 40F+ degree weather) that said "Welcome, Spring!!!" Truth be told, though...remember how in recent years that Opening Day for the Cleveland Indians have been scrapped due to SNOW and nasty weather. We're not out of the woods, yet, but there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

- 5 days until I'm heading up north to the Chattahoochee National Forest. Back in January 2009, I went exploring and running up there and stumbled upon the Appalachian Trail. I had no idea it ran through there. Since that day, I have sworn to return during my final trip down here. My goal is to be on the trail at sunrise and hike until sunset over as many mountain peaks as I can. It's a couple-hour drive north to the Gap I want to start at. I think I'll hike for 1/2 the day east or west then return to my car for food then go the opposite direction for the 2nd half of the day. I can't wait to get up there. It is truly the epitome of God's creation...untouched by the ravages of today's culture. It is beauty unparalleled. Of course, I will have my camera in tow and fully charged. I'm setting it to wide-angle for the hike just so I can capture as much as I can. This will also be a big test how I fare in elevation, on rocky terrain, climbing, and for several hours on end. The results will most likely be the determining factor on whether or not I still participate in May's MMT100 in Virginia. Here are photos from January 2009 when I last visited the Forest.

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

No comments: