Monday, March 22, 2010

M-Cubed for 3/22/2010

Monday Morning Musings for March Twenty-Second, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- I just pinched myself. I am alive and it is Monday morning. And yes, I have to return to my work cave for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks. No, I am not looking forward to the piles of "work" that await me and surely, 20+ voice-mails that are "urgent." It is never easy switching from uniform to civilian employee. My goal is just to blend in, keep my mouth shut, do my job to the best of my ability, and go home. I have to accept now that I won't even put a dent in the pile for weeks to come. Hey, that's tough for Mr. Type A!

- I love when meteorologists haven't a clue. 58F, cloudy, showers all day. That was yesterday's forecast. Reality was 60F and sun all day. Gee...that was close, wasn't it?!?!

- I'm in for my 2nd return to Oil Creek for the 100-miler and apparently, many others are jumping on as well. Registrations for the 50K, 100K, and 100 miler are cruising along at a modest clip after registration opened up late last Thursday night. As of now, 29 of the available 125 100-mile spots are taken, 22 of 75 for the 100K, and 35 of 99 for the 50K. It all sold out far in advance of race day last year and with the race featured on the cover of UltraRunning magazine and great word of mouth, it won't last long this year. Now if I can just find the time to get over the Oil Creek State Park this Spring, I'd be all the more happier. I really want to see the park again as Spring springs!

- I believe I mentioned my Garmin 205 dying while I was in Georgia. Well, the replacement sure did beat me home by about 3 days in fact. They received it a week ago on Friday and shipped a new one out that next Monday and UPS delivered it on Wednesday. Talk about fast service! Unfortunately, I think I dropped my charging cradle on the floor in the hotel room in Athens, GA so now I'm trying to contact housekeeping down there to see if they found it to avoid buying a new one. Luckily, it showed up fully charged so I'm just running already-measured routes around home and not using it. I want to wear it for this Sunday's 50K.

- Speaking of this Sunday, it's the 2nd Annual Fools 50K. The Fools 50K takes place in the Virginia Kendall part of Cuyahoga Valley National Park and is a 2-loop course. As such, it also offers a 25K option. Last year, I remember frost covering the ground at the start and the sun quickly rising to present us with a picture-perfect day. The sun has been plentiful as of late and very little rain so the trails are drying quickly from the snow-melt. I hope this trend continues and provides us all a perfect day on the trails. I'm really looking forward to seeing so many friends whom I haven't seen in months!

- After Fools, I'm really looking forward to my 37 mile 37th birthday run on April 16th. I ran 36 on my birthday last year and had an absolute BLAST! It is also going to double as Marjie's last long run before her first 1/2 marathon. So, I've mapped out a 12-miler that I'll lead them out on for the 1st seven miles then as they head for home, I'll head out on a running tour of southern Portage County. Last year, it was a full-sun, warm day and everything was in full bloom. I stopped and saw friends and family along the way, took lots of pictures, and had an awesome time. I expect no less this year!

- Speaking of Marjie, I ran 8.2 on the roads with her and her running partner, Amy, this past Saturday. It was their longest run to date and they both did great! I had them on the roads at 5am (NEVER did I ever think I would be running with Marjie at 5am...don't only crazy people do that?!) and I took them on the hilly "Karen's Loop." They finished knowing they could do more which was great! To add the whip cream and cherry on top, I took Marjie back out for a 4.8 mile trail run at West Branch a few hours later with a few other friends. We had a great time on perfect-condition trails along the water at the park. Marjie was totally pooped after 13 miles for the day but she had a lot of fun. As Master Yoda might say: "Proud, I am!" Keep it up, Babe!

- Yesterday, I went out with Marjie on a recovery 3-miler and also slipped on my Vibram Five-Fingers. I have the red Sprint model. I felt so good with them on and asked Marjie what she observed while I was running in comparison to when I am normally wearing shoes. She said there was a distinct difference. I slightly leaned forward, had a more "natural" stride and looked like I was more "springy" with each stride. My normal stride is obnoxiously straight up. You can see me coming from afar because of it. I didn't purposely change anything nor did I feel like my posture, etc. was different. However, like I've read countless times about running barefoot, the body just "knows" what to do. Our arch is a natural spring and we were designed to run so this all makes perfect sense. After Marjie's 3 miles, I headed back out for a much faster 3 miles and loved every second of it. It was so easy and effortless. The funny part was when 3 deer froze in their tracks and just stopped and stared...over and over again. I guess my bright red "shoes," my bright green VR Mean Green tech tee, and my black/yellow shorts caught their attention. Anyway, I'm going to throw in some barefoot running here and there but have no intentions of making that my primary way to run. Perhaps I can benefit...or maybe not. We'll see. Today, I have no soreness at all from the run.

- I placed my first order from Brooks last night so I can properly "represent" the brand at future events. I am finally getting a pair of their hugely popular Cascadia 5 trail shoes. I also picked up a sleeveless tech tee and 2 pairs of shorts. I'm looking forward to "Inspiring Daily" as the Brooks ID program promotes! Oh yea, some icing on the cake: while I stopped along the Atlanta Highway at a lake-front Starbucks to write my graduation blog last Friday, the Brooks folks had just posted their Friday giveaway on Facebook. I responded quickly and was one of the only 10 people who are getting a new "Run Happy" tech tee! WOOT! It only took a few minutes from start to finish for the giveaway...talk about being in the right place at the right time. Dang, I love Brooks!

- If you're a local trail runner and want to join me, I'm going to get back in the groove of leading some trail runs in the CVNP. It's been quite some time since I've done that but will start again soon. I hope to do some night running as well which I know many people want who are training for upcoming 100-milers this year. When I do, I'll post them on Facebook and the Vertical Runner message board. All are welcome!

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

1 comment:

dirtdawg50k said...

looking forward to the Fools as well!