Monday, April 6, 2009

M-Cubed for 4/6/09

Monday Morning Musings for April Sixth, Two Thousand and Nine. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- What a flippin' great weekend! I tapered well last week (only 18 miles) and ran my 31st marathon/ultra-marathon yesterday at the Fools 50K. 5hrs, 26min, 15sec, 17th overall. This is my 2nd fastest 50K to date by a long shot. I'm a very happy camper this morning.

- OK, I'm calling you out! To the person who shouted out to me on the connector between the Lake Trail and Pine Grove Trail, "Good job, Mr. Moon!", identify yourself! I'm sorry, but I didn't recognize you. For those of you RTRSBM blog newbies, Mr. Moon is the main subject in my "3:30am" series. Sorry, I can't elaborate. The moon isn't shining today. By the way, you shouting that out made my day. I grinned about that from ear to ear at least until I got back onto the Ledges Trail! Thanks for the mental boost!

- I really love the Winking Lizard in Peninsula. With my family at the finish line yesterday, nothing sounded better than that. Plus, they've got the biggest activity sheet for kids to work on! That's a great distraction when mom and dad are trying to get some "us" time in. By the way, I swear by the Asian Chicken Wrap. It is soooooooo good!!!

- Everyone see the article that the Cleveland Plain Dealer did on Vertical Runner in Hudson? It is a really good write-up. Read it here.

- My family is heading off to Colorado for a week on Tuesday (minus me). Oh, what to do?! I think there are some good movies out right now. With my free admission at any time at Kent Plaza Theaters (military ID), I need to hit them up at least a few times. I think that time on the trails is in order as well...as if I didn't get enough lately!

- It was great to meet so many people that I knew by e-mail or name but not in person. Yesterday's race was great in so many ways...that's just one of them. In my opinion, Facebook has united so many local runners that otherwise would have never met. Feel free to add me if we're not already hooked up!

- I feel obligated to share some more post-50K results. Due to popular demand, here's another sampling of one of the many benefits of ultra trail-running events. Enjoy!

- I'm very thankful for 2 medical issues in my extended family: my dad finishes 7 weeks weeks of daily radiation this Tuesday. He and my mom have been in Atlanta, GA attacking his prostate cancer. The Hope House (provided by the American Cancer Society) has provided lodging for them and local organizations brought in food 40-50% of the time. I really hope the radiation did its job! On another front, my dad's mom, my only surviving grandparent, had a stroke recently but is recovering well now at home. I saw her on Saturday for an Easter brunch and I was pleasantly surprised at her rebound from how I saw her in the hospital. Our prayers were answered!

- I got my first suntan/burn of the season. I can still feel the heat beaming off my face this morning. I may have been on trails under trees all day but those trees don't have leaves on them yet so full sun it was! It was such a beautiful day to be out there!

- This upcoming weekend (Friday/Saturday) is a big training weekend. I plan to leave from the Happy Days parking lot on Friday night at 6pm for a night trail run and again at 7am Saturday morning for 6-7 more hours on the trails. Why? Kettle Moraine 100 is only 61 days away! Let me know if you want to join in for any of the "fun."

- I had a very nice and relaxing jaunt around home this morning for 5 rolling miles. It's always a good idea to warm up the muscles the day after a really long run/marathon/ultra simply to warm up the muscles to break free the lactic acid/cement in your legs followed by lots of water throughout the day to flush it all out. The only real soreness I feel today is in my abdominal muscles. Those guys help out a lot during hilly trail running and now need a little TLC. I also wore my new Fools 50K Asics running shorts. I've never received a pair of shorts for a race but Lloyd did a fine job in picking these. They were great and will get a lot of use in the future.

- "Give me back that Filet-o-Fish. Give me that fish! Give me back that Filet-o-Fish, give me that fish! What if it were YOU hanging up on this wall? If it were you in that sandwich, you wouldn't be laughing at all!!!!" You're welcome.

- I think that about covers it. Off to work for Uncle Sam!

Happy Trails, everyone!

8 comments:

Inca Princess said...

O.K., it was me. You really had to drag it out of me, didn't you?

We've never met but I'm Red's good buddy Inca Princess. She turned me on to your blog and I recognized you on the trail. I thought you might like a little laugh and I'm glad that it made your day - you were looking pretty darn strong out there - great job!

Nick Billock said...

Well thanks again! That was really cool. Sorry to call you out but I'm glad I did! Have a great week!

Susan said...

Great job this weekend-and thanks for the Spring pic on the blog.

Sensationally Red said...

I told you I was bad news...now you have a HUGE following of babes hanging on your every word...
Great job out there Nick!

Inca Princess said...

Thanks for calling me a babe Red.

I was a little disappointed with Nick's build-up of our encounter. He could have at least said "like a beautiful angel, she descended the connector trail and called out to me in a seductive voice - "Good Job Mr. Moon." 'Cause that's how it really went down! ;-)

rob said...

..ok ok...break it up...

nice run yesterday nick...

~rob

Bob said...

Your life will never be the same now . . .

Nick Billock said...

I wish I could think up some really cool words that require a dictionary to understand...like Red's blog [:-)]...but I just don't have it in me. I agree, Bob...I've fallen prey into a world that I do not yet understand...the journey should be.......interesting, to say the least.