Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Saw a Shooting Star...

...this morning while I was running. The last several days have been plagued with cooler temperatures and heavy rains so this morning's crisp 37F and a starlit sky was a welcome relief. It's been quite some time since I've had one of my forever-desirable Mr. Moon-lit morning runs. This last full moon cycle happened more in daylight hours than at night or in the early morning hours. That shooting star, though, did stir up some "deep thoughts" that have been dancing around my cerebrum all day.

When I see something like a shooting star, I typically see it out the side of my eye. I've only seen a few (< id="SPELLING_ERROR_0" class="blsp-spelling-corrected">monotonous and thankless job that they do and most people, if they say anything at all, just complain to them. I also think about the little things on this earth that are at first glance, perhaps insignificant, but are a beautiful piece of creation. Think of each unique flower blooming right now, the cherry blossoms and pear trees blooming, each leaf of every tree erupting from the cold winter in unison with each other and reaching upward towards the life-giving sun. Think of the waterfalls we love so much nearby in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and how they've been formed over 100s and 100s of years without man's intervention. All of these things listed are at first glance no big deal and don't deserve a second glance. I, however, challenge you to "stop and smell the coffee" and appreciate the little things that surround you each and every day. Better yet, stop and smell the cherry or pear tree blossoms!

I'll take it another step further: how about the friendships, acquaintances, and face-known-name-unknown runners you see at each Saturday group run? How about the selfless giving of so many fellow runners who give so much to the local running scene or the volunteer organizations who maintain our beloved trails? It's so seemingly insignificant that most don't even notice any of it.

As I pondered the shooting star throughout today, I felt renewed...renewed in my appreciation for all of God's creation around me, for the awesome, perfect, landscape that we all find ourselves inhabiting, and appreciative yet again for a running/trail-running/ultra-running community bent on supporting each other regardless of who each other is. I've always thought it incredibly cool that we all lead lives much unknown to each other but come Saturday morning or at any other time we get together, none of that matters. All of it is peeled away and out there, we're all just runners wanting to run. Pure and simple.

So while we may be simply a spec on this landscape and one person among billions, I challenge you to live a life of significance and don't just fly by life not looking around you. Once you do, I promise you that your life will never be the same...and you'll never again stop looking around and soaking it all in.

Happy Trails, everyone!

No comments: