Monday, August 31, 2015

M-Cubed for 8.31.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for August Thirty-First, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Goodbye August, hello September...and a long Labor Day weekend and the Cleveland Air Show next weekend! 2015 is 2/3 complete! Before we know it, those leaves will be changin'...

- If you're a Monday-only RTRSBM reader, I posted my race report yesterday from Saturday's "attempted" 50K. Big 'ol case of humble pie but it's all good. Still glad I impulse-registered for the race and no regrets for how it ended. Read it here.

- Last February, my wife and I went on our first "Love Like You Mean It" marriage cruise where on Day 2, we got to see a preview of "War Room" that was released this past Friday. It's written by, directed, and produced by the Kendrick brothers who also made movies like Fireproof, Facing the Giants and Courageous...all very successful. Back on the cruise ship, it got a standing ovation and afterwards, the filmmakers and a few stars sat on stage for an extensive interview. Yesterday, we had the pleasure of supporting the movie's opening weekend and taking our girls to see it. Early box office numbers have it coming in at #2 for the weekend but just barely. Hopefully, that'll push it into more screens across the country. It was sooooo good and our girls both loved it as well. Unfamiliar? Here's the movie's YouTube channel where you can watch the trailer and clips.

- Oh, Apple. Sneaky you are! This past week, they officially announced their "big" event for September 9th...precisely when we all thought it would happen. As usual, their press release got people talking. Below is what you'll find on the Apple website today. Know this...there are no accidents. The wavy colors, the choice of venue, the "Siri" reference. It's all part of their tease. Now do this: tell Siri on your iPhone "Hey Siri, give us a hint"...and do it several times. Apple has programmed Siri to tease the event when you ask the question. Hehe....I love it. :) Their choice of venue is really getting the Kool-Aid drinkers talking, too. Normally for these, under 1000 people are invited. The location for this event holds a whopping 7000 people, further fueling suspicions that there is something bigger than just the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus release. Something to do with Siri? Apple TV? Watch 2.0? Something new we've never seen before? We shall see on September 9th.



- I'd like to give a big 'ol shout out to my bride. She really does set the bar high when it comes to attitude in the CrossFit gym. She has fought for years to change herself physically with everything you can imagine. She has run countless miles, ate extremely well, done the macro thing, you name it. Most recently, though, and finally with good coaching and hard work, she is seeing results. She is getting stronger and finally was able to do push-ups TO THE FLOOR last week and is closer than ever to her first strict pull-up. We both entered the gym last November with zero upper body strength but her journey towards building that has been slower and more difficult...but she has persevered! Even more important, she keeps the right attitude even when things don't go so well. I struggle with keeping a good attitude on bad days in the gym and unfortunately, that often lingers with me for awhile afterwards. "Keep up the great work, Babe! You DO inspire others!" Age is nothing but a number, friends...go get it!

- Did you miss National Dog Day last Wednesday? It was all over social media as everyone shared their pooches. For us? Glasses...my 12 year old's glasses. "Love ya, Bristol!"

- So what website do I refresh more often than any other these days? This one. It's where promotion board results will be posted, hopefully within the next week or so. I'm hoping to see my name. :)

- Familiar with "Nightmare on Elm Street" and the "Scream" movies? Wes Craven directed those. He died yesterday at the age of 76 in his L.A. home from brain cancer. Love the Scream series! (and the spoofs that followed)

- So I signed up for that 50K on Saturday morning, did 20 miles of it and dropped. By that evening, I signed up for my next CrossFit event but unlike the traditional competition in May that I did, this one is more of a long, endurance workout with a good dose of running. It's called the "Run Amuck 5K" at CrossFit Independence, just south of Cleveland. Here's what it is:

- 200 meter run, 10 Pullups
- 400 meter run, 20 Burpees
- 600 meter run, 30 Hand Release Pushups
- 800 meter run, 40 Abmat Situps
- 1,000 meter run, 50 Air Squats
- 800 meter run, 40 Abmat Situps
- 600 meter run, 30 Hand Release Pushups
- 400 meter run, 20 Burpees
- 200 meter run, 10 Pullups (then yell...TIME!)

Fun, right?! There will be 5 heats, starting every 30min at 8:30am. I'm in the 9am heat. I'm looking forward to it! Running is definitely a strength of mine, even when my heart is pounding hard from those movements in between. The whole event exists to support the Cornerstone of Hope that exists to provide education, support and hope for the grieving. If you'd like to donate to them in my name, I have a fundraising page set up here. If you want to participate in the event, sign up here and join me! 

- In other CrossFit news, I did my first ring dip this past week! BOOM! One step closer to attempting my first muscle up. :)

- To seal up today's post, a running quote and fitting after my run on Saturday. One thing is for sure: I love to run...it just isn't center stage anymore for me. I will run when I want to run. I will run where and as far as I please. I will enter races or not. No matter how it goes, it's my decision. My shoes. My path. My run. Have a GREAT week, everyone!

"If running is a means of escaping the trials of everyday life, then it meant taking my life into my own hands. It meant running for myself. And, in part, that meant getting away from the jostling of others. Even when I had only just started running it was plain to see that its appeal lay in the simplicity of the action, taken one step at a time, as well as in the possibility of nonconformity that it offered. We can run anywhere, anyhow, and at any time. Running should not be hemmed in by schedules and routines. Its beauty derives from the fact that it cannot be governed by the magnetic fields of others. We run for ourselves."

– Robin Harvie, The Lure of Long Distances: Why We Run

No comments: