- We had a June that seemed like April with all the rain. Now, we've gone over a month with not even a thunderstorm and hardly any rain. The neighborhood is quiet with no lawnmowers, all the lawns are brown and honestly, I'm ok with that! I've loved all the sun, especially since two back-to-back brutal winters in NE Ohio.
- It's fair week! Almost time for my one Amish-style funnel cake of the year. Tons of fat, calories and powdered sugar. Bring it!
- On Sundays, we definitely take a break from CrossFit and for the past few weeks have run together before heading off to Sunday morning church. Yesterday, we enjoyed an upper 50s, clear, gorgeous morning run along the Cuyahoga River in Kent, OH. Fantastic run and awesome to hear nothing but birds and the water moving in the river. Given the lack of rain, the water level is pretty low but still refreshing to see and hear.
- Surely, many of you have an iPhone and perhaps even reading this on one. I drank that Kool Aid awhile back with the iPhone 4 that spawned multiple purchases from more iPhones to the iPad to an iMac and Macbook Pro. I'm a marketing junkie, too, and love watching how they market their stuff and like to predict what's coming before it does. Well, we're nearing the next big event that happens twice a year when they schedule a big press conference and make surprise announcements, some bigger than others. It hasn't been announced yet but most agree it will be on September 9th. Since we got the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus last Fall, a mid-cycle update is expected, most likely as a 6S and 6S Plus. Visually, probably the same but inside some upgrades and tweaks. One interesting tidbit was the metal being used. Thanks to some production leaks, the man who tested the bendability of the current 6 and 6 Plus got a hold of a new, supposed case and the rumor mill says there is now zinc in it making it FAR more stronger than the current version. If you recall, some people have had their phones bend, especially the huge 6 Plus version. The new operating system is coming, too, called iOS 9. I've actually been running the beta version of it for the past month and like it. My #1 new feature is a battery saving mode you can turn on that absolutely works. There is also rumor that a 3rd iPhone model could be released...nicknamed the 6C..a lower cost version like the 5C was. That is more rumor than anything at this point. What's true is this...Apple has garnered a lot of Samsung's business via the 6 Plus. Samsung was leading the way for the larger phone market but with the release of the large 6 Plus, many waiting for such an Apple product gave up their Android operating systems and came to Apple...many for the first time. If you're an Apple junkie, too, I highly recommend www.appleinsider.com and their Twitter feed.
- Before I close up shop this Monday morning and "almost" the last Monday of August, let me give you a dose of encouragement...as I attempt to drink this same encouragement for myself. I encourage you to keep your priorities, faith, family and self in check and always strive to do the right thing, even in the face of fear and possible persecution and attacks from the outside. Often when we're faced with a fork in the road, either choice is going to offend, anger some and satisfy others. For me, I choose to go to prayer and seek what truly is right for me to do, how to lead my family, and let Him whom I elevate above all else lead the way. For me, the peace that follows whatever decision being made is priceless, even in the face of opposition like I mentioned. If we constantly seek to "people please" and seek the approval of others, we're destined for stress, disappointment and probably yet another course correction. In the end, it's about having courage which is defined as "Doing your duty in the face of fear." What is the most courageous thing you have ever done? I posed this question online earlier last week and am thankful for those who shared their stories. What is yours? Whatever it is, you most likely had to go to the core of who you are and your raw humanity came forth...regardless of the cost. That is the epitome of who we are and what we must own up to. If we don't like it, we need to start making changes in the right direction.
- If you're a friend of ours, you may have picked up on our pursuit of less...owning less, filling our schedules with less and focusing more on quality time instead of stuff. We're actually to the point now where we don't have our annual garage sale because there isn't enough to justify it. When there IS something for the garage sale pile, it gets donated or sold pronto! So instead of leaving you with an inspirational quote this week, I'm just going to leave the image below. It's true, you know! Have a fantastic week, everyone!