Monday, August 10, 2015

M-Cubed for 8.10.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for August Tenth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- A more-common-each-day thing to see on Facebook these days is a feature now woven directly into it called "On This Day" that goes back years on the same day and the longer an account has been active, the more is revealed. On this day in 2009, I read "M-Cubed for 8.10.2009" which was interesting. I'm not sure where my head was at that point because I had just finished my 2nd 100-miler a week prior and stated "no more than a 50K for the rest of the year"...yet I ran my 3rd 100-miler 9 weeks later. What the heck?! Someone or something certainly got to me! Here's the ultra-quick read...6 years ago today: M-Cubed for 8.10.2009. Also interesting in there is a mention of being about to put on the next rank. Ironically, I'm within a month of hearing if I've been selected for the next rank...two more than the one back then. At this point, I have to be selected. Back at that lower rank, it was essentially automatic.

- A fan of Peeps? Well, Easter may not be for a long time but Peeps are capitalizing on the Pumpkin Spice craze right around the corner this Fall and releasing their own version of the flavor on August 31st. Ick. They are also releasing caramel apple--a green chick dipped in a caramel-like fudge-- and candy corn--an orange speckled chick dipped in white chocolate. Ick ick ICK! (or should I say...chICK?!) Surely, this is good news to at least one of you out there.

- I had the privilege of spending Friday night and all day Saturday with many of my Supply Corps brethren in Columbus for our annual gathering. From the rank of O-1 all the way to O-9...it was a diverse mix and excellent time. From networking, catching up with friends and very good presentations, it was a time not-to-miss. Saturday evening concluded with dinner at Bon Vie in Columbus where about 40 of us invaded half the restaurant for nearly three hours. Thank goodness for Starbucks "Flat White" that got me home.

- Let's see...what else can I say today? It's Monday...the clock is ticking away over to my left and work is calling. Quite honestly, I'm a bit numb to much these days. I'm questioning just about everything around me, it's authenticity, people's "realness," what truly matters, what demands my time (and if it's worthy of giving), how to spend every day and moment within, what kind of father/husband I am, and really...a realization that no one else cares about any of this but me. From the moment I get out of bed to let the dog out to when I close my eyes tonight and everything in between, it's important to find purpose in each step. Going through the motions is empty if purpose is absent. From weight lifted in the gym to conversations had with my family, colleagues and strangers, to whether or not I stop and get my morning java to how I manage my time in the office to what I choose to do after the day concludes but before my head hits the pillow tonight...what is the purpose and are my blinders on or do I see life as it truly is? Is my purpose to live for me? For others? For my God? A combination of all of it? If so, who or what is taking the lead and lion's share? Throw in a bunch of human ugliness that is sure to poison today's walk and without purpose, I just may get sucked in to the dismal abyss. "Just ignore that stuff," I'm told. That's a tough one for me. Often, I just wish those poisonous folks took a moment to "know" me and maybe the ugliness wouldn't be so ugly. Holding my breath, I won't be. Just gotta roll along and find that purpose and find a way to smile.

- That's it for today, friends. Have a fantastic week!


No comments: