Monday, August 3, 2015

M-Cubed for 8.3.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for August Third, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Good morning! For those of you who drift on by on Monday mornings, I posted my 9 month update since I began CrossFit. You can read it here.

- August?! Dang. You definitely know what's up when you visit all the retailers right now...from places like Wal-Mart and Target to the grocery stores: school supplies! That makes sense. What DOESN'T make sense is Halloween costumes. I've seen that more than once! In another few weeks, the snow-blowers will be out!

- I have a pretty decent commute and I'm often on the search for a great podcast. I'm a huge fan of FamilyLife and their daily radio show on families and marriage. I found a new one a week or so ago from Mashable. If you're into tech and the business/marketing surrounding it, you'll love it. They actually covered Amazon.com's Prime Day two weeks ago and it was super interesting. My education and passion is definitely in the business realm so I loved it...but I also love my gadgets. Great find! I also highly recommend their pages on Facebook: Mashable Tech and Mashable.

- You are probably chock full of CrossFit but just one thing on this Monday morning. One of the benchmark WOD's is named "Cindy" and it's also a great workout to prepare for the Hero WOD "Murph." It's a 20min AMRAP (as many reps as possible) of: 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 air squats. I've done it 3 times. The first was last November when I was brand new in CrossFit and did 10 complete rounds plus 10 more reps...using a band to assist the pull-ups. On July 8th, I did it and did much better at 13 rounds plus 13 more reps and without any band assistance. A few days ago, I did it again and scored 14 complete rounds plus 20 reps! Boom! My weak point and where I pause most is still the push-ups. The pull-ups went well (although I really want to learn the more efficient butterfly variety) and I did all the squats unbroken. Always room to get better but I'm happy with the progression in the short period of time!

- It was a lonely week at home as my wife and girls headed to the beach. It was just my baby girl, Bristol, and me. It helped that my parents' ice cream shop is only 3 miles away...and Bristol LOVES vanilla ice cream!

- I've wrote about the Chattanooga shootings over the past few weeks so as the investigation continues and the country raised their flags back to full staff and the 4 Marines and one sailor were buried, one news item that came out a few days ago was that the commanding officer of the Navy Reserve center did, in fact, discharge his personal weapon during the attack. I'm going to watch this story closely because while what he did was heroic in trying to defend his center, everyone knows he is strictly forbidden from carrying a firearm in uniform and also bringing one into the center itself.  It's an ugly situation and one I don't envy him for being in. As a father of 4 with a fifth on the way and a wife, I really hope for the best for him and his family. Here's one local story from Chattanooga. The rest of the investigation is ongoing. I was encouraged, though, that for those centers across the country that are unarmed (which are many), armed sentries are now authorized. Amen to that!

- Soda/pop drinker? Read this from Yahoo! News.

- Surely, you've seen the many faint rainbows behind your Facebook friends' profile photos ever since the recent Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage...right? Well, a few Air Force officers thought "Why can't we do that with the American flag? So they did and you can create yours right now. Here's the story and the link is within.

- I had the honor of doing my 3rd Veteran Pinning on Friday. If you recall, I volunteered with a local hospital that has a program called Veteran to Veteran for patients in hospice care (expected to pass within 6 months) who are veterans. It's a way to say "Thank you" from one veteran to another. For this one, he was an 88 year old World War II vet. His memory wasn't so good but he was very kind. He told me of his time when he joined just after the war ended and he was in Europe. Like the previous two, it was an honor to read him the certificate, hear his story, pin him, and shake his hand while thanking him for serving his country and paving the way for folks like me. I won't forget his story about his job: At the age of 16, he went to a factory in Cleveland that made shells for the Army and Navy. They wouldn't hire him unless he proved he dropped out of school. Well, he did and never went back. When he joined the Army, the factory held his job and he went back and worked a total of 30 years for that company. I asked why he went at 16 and his reply was "I just felt like I was supposed to work for the rest of my life." What a concept!!! Can you imagine if our country's youth today had this mindset? Not one of quitting school, mind you, but of a work ethic like this. This man ended up raising 9 children and working at another factory for 15 years after retiring from the first. He repeatedly told me of how blessed he felt in his life and how he regretted nothing. Quite an inspiration!

- Do you know who Jared Fogle is? I didn't, either. But I do know who Subway's Jared is...the spokesman for years who lost all that weight. Ring a bell? Well, it turns out he allegedly paid $100 to have sex with a 16 year old girl. The FBI is all over him and as expected, Subway can't distance themselves fast enough. This is from their Facebook page. Sick. If you want to read any stories, just Google him. I won't be posting any links here. How does that saying go? "You're never too big to fall." Crash.

- Before I leave you today, I read this short article on Mashable over the weekend where a photographer used light to "show" the sound/music coming from a violin. The results are incredible! Below is just one image from the article. I can only imagine what it would be like if he did this with a variety of stringed instruments on stage during something like the 1812 Overture. That would be simply amazing. Here's the article.


- As I let you go this morning to get on with your week, I simply leave you with this today. It applies to us all...no matter what! Have a great week, everyone!



No comments: