Monday, August 17, 2015

M-Cubed for 8.17.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for August Seventeenth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Not so "morning" as it is "afternoon" today but I relied on my inner clock to wake me up this morning and instead, the sunrise filled the bill...meaning a much later rise to the day.

- Follow me on Instagram? Subscribe here. I post less on Facebook these days and prefer the format of Instagram..especially when photos are a preferred medium for me.

- Have you seen the movie "Southpaw?" It's the story of a boxer who was undefeated, lived in luxury, had tragedy destroy his life and then the fight (both literally and figuratively) to come back. Jake Gyllenhaal did a fantastic job as lead actor as did Forest Whitaker and supporting actor. I'm a big fan of his and this role was right on par with his talent. Highly recommend this movie! (warning on the language, though, if you plan on taking your kids) Watch the trailer here.

- It was a good time in the CrossFit world this past week. For Saturday, it was less lifting (unlike Friday which ended up being two hours of nothing but that!) and more of a burner of a workout. It went like this: 400m fireman's carry of a 53lb kettle bell in each hand followed by 40 GHD situps then 40 front squats and wrapped up with 40 bar-facing burpees. I faced off in friendly competition with four other gym members and finished the carry without stopping and in first. For the GHD situps, I did all 40 without stopping but our female powerhouse in the gym passed me up and was on the bar before I even got to my front squats. For those front squats, they continue to be a struggle for me but I did them in sets of 10. At last, I tackled the bar-facing burpees. If you don't know, they are when you do one burpee then jump over the bar...two feet at once...not stepping...then turn around and do another burpee and continue the reps. Each rep finishes with a jump over the bar. It sounds easy but the key is to not stop amidst the sweat pouring and not trip over that dang bar! I ended up finishing in 16min, 29sec. Loved it! All in all, CrossFit continues to be a regular part of my day but doesn't own me or my life. I love the "mortality" of what I face there. I'm a 42 year old dad who has never been an athlete of any kind in my life yet I do my best to hold my own with those literally half my age on a daily basis. My biggest struggles physically are flexibility and upper body strength and mentally, it's keeping a good attitude when I fail at things daily. I just don't handle failure well in any part of my life so this is no surprise that I struggle with it here...especially when it's on a daily basis. I do have my strengths, though, like when a workout involves running...that's in my wheelhouse! Just gotta keep smiling and give my best every day...and be perfectly ok with that.

- In case you missed it, I wrote up some candid and raw thoughts on the 1 year anniversary of Robin Williams' passing earlier last week. If you missed them, you can read them here.

- It's hard to believe that we cut the cable over 3 years ago. If you've ever considered it and wonder what you could pick up via antenna, I bet it's quite a bit. Here is the antenna we got for 50 bucks and still use today. Today, the main networks broadcast in high definition free over-the-air. This is all we use. We also subscribe to Netflix but that's it...oh, and the occasional Jimmy Fallon clips on YouTube. Those are always priceless and great family time to laugh together watching.

- Just a quick little quote today that I heard while watching a few minute bio on a CrossFit gym down in North Carolina. "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." In CrossFit, it doesn't take much to be a "coach" or "Level One Trainer." Basically, you need $1000 and a weekend to give to CrossFit and boom...you are one. In my opinion, though, a coach isn't about holding a certificate or credential. It's having knowledge, yes, but also a caring for the person you are coaching. This can be in the gym, on the track, as a parent, as a teacher, as a supervisor....as a friend. I like to think this: "Don't show me your pedigree, show me your heart." People don't follow pedigrees...and if they do, it's short-lived. They follow authenticity...realness...caring...compassionate human beings.

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: