My feet and these matching toes have gone some places. They entered the world nearly 41 years ago and were softer than ever back then. Today, they are as tough as leather beneath. They have walked on many shores of Caribbean islands; walked beside Afghan soldiers in Afghanistan; stood on the tarmac as 30 U.S. Navy SEALs were loaded on two C-17s to be returned home from Bagram Air Field in Afghanistan to Dover, DE; ran through the rain with my bride to catch the cruise ship departure; traversed sections of the Appalachian Trail; covered thousands of miles in road and trail shoes; walked down the aisle and kept me upright as I said my vow to my wife over 21 years ago; stood atop an aircraft carrier in the middle of the night letting me watch the fire and glow of fighter jets taking off; been there through thick and thin, good and bad, glory and humility. They are my matching toes.
Where next? Well, I often (like always) think about "what next?" It's good to have goals and where you want to go or quite honestly, you may end of nowhere but precisely where you are today. I think a lot of us have a Bucket List and it may even be written down or just "penciled in" in our brains. In no particular order, here are some of mine:
- Skydive at least once unassisted
- Through-hike from start to finish on the Appalachian Trail
- Road trip over weeks through the United States with minimal contact to the outside world
- Live in an area where I can wear shorts 12 months out of the year
- Love my wife no less than I do today when I'm old and gray
- Small home at the beach and a small home in the mountains but not too far apart
- Walk my girls down the aisle and love them/accept them no matter where their lives take them
- Own a ragtop Camaro...and pay cash for it
- Still be running when I'm 80
- Hear "Well done, my good and faithful servant" when I stand before my God one day.