Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Poem: From the Ashes

Born and raised as the child first born
I don't remember much, not much at all
Bowling league here, some baseball there
Not very athletic, not one bit at all

From the ashes I'd rise...

Growing up through grade school
I got good grades, I excelled in math
I think it was 5th grade, I finally kissed a girl
Not popular, not many friends, strived for perfection

From the ashes I'd rise...

A move here, another move there
We never stopped moving from house to house
From town to town, wherever the work was
I was the first born, living on the outside

From the ashes I'd rise...

Moving again, a new town altogether
One of many houses and another new school, too
I found I liked blonde girls quite a bit
But no more kisses, not even a girlfriend

From the ashes I'd rise...

Moving into high school, grades always on the rise
My best friends were girls, I had no interest in sports
College? Military? Stay in town? I had no idea.
I worked at Mickey D's, Taco Bell, and Mickey D's again.

From the ashes I'd rise...

It was one day a recruiter, he got me at work
"Come take a test," he said. We'll see what we have for you."
One test soaring, another test as well.
"Sign here, Sailor. You're going to be in the Navy."

From the ashes I'd rise...

In I went, I became a Navy sailor
One year in and my girl from home became my bride
Years in Navy towns, schools attended
Most of those memories gone, I cannot remember

From the ashes I'd rise...

10 years of marriage, we thought it might end
Navy done, a new life in our family was about to begin
One precious baby girl, another one a few years later
We were back home again, where it all began

From the ashes I'd rise...

I missed my Navy. I missed serving my country
Multiple jobs, I lacked all kinds of direction
Back I went, the Navy took me back
Part time, a reservist, a taste of what I once had

From the ashes I'd rise...

I knew the day would come, I'd have to go away
Iraq war winding down, Afghanistan in full tilt
What I do is in demand so the call finally came
I blogged every day, 208 days to be exact

From the ashes I'd rise...

I always tried to be a good man
A good father, a good son, a good husband
I found I loved running and could run quite far
It was 2009 and 3 100-milers I would finish

From the ashes I'd rise...

But after that trip to the war zone, everything would change
I still ran, but it didn't own me
I still worked, but it was only a means to an end
I still attended church, but it meant a whole new thing

From the ashes I'd rise...

I accepted Christ as my Savior at the age of 5
A buttered bowl of rice, I was all alone
I still remember WKRP in Cincinnati playing on the TV
Kitchen table, one prayer to God, and I was His

From the ashes I'd rise...

Religion = rules. Christ = redeemed.
Me before = a Sunday Christian. Me today = walking His narrow path.
At the bottom I found myself, ready to punch out of this world
He had me, He had never left me, His hand rested below me and caught me as I fell

FROM THE ASHES I'D RISE...

I may not remember much of my past, I am ashamed
So much is confusing, so much makes no sense at all
A good person, doing good things, living for yourself
It's not enough, it'll never be enough, I thought it was

From the ashes I'd rise...

Sacrificially loving and protecting,
That's my calling, that's my duty, to the death
He redeemed me, He saved me and us
He was never gone, He was never absent

From the ashes I'd rise...

Burnt, beaten, I had not a shred of strength left
A day at a time, a promise to provide enough strength
He has my full devotion, He has my complete worship
Like ashes that once made something whole...

From the ashes I'd rise...

Fire, pain, terror, hurt, deception and lies
Sin, hate, and filth they all destroy
But He, the Almighty One...
He has said "I make all things new."

From the ashes I rose.

From the ashes I remain.

He is my Rock. He is my own. He is my Father. I am His.
Until He calls me home.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Beautiful timeline of your life.