Wednesday, July 24, 2013

65 Miles and Going Strong

On Monday, I mentioned a challenge I came up with for no particular reason..to run 7 days straight, no days off, with a minimum 10 miles a day. Today, I had the day off so I finished Day 6 with a cool, crisp, clear 13.2 miles through my hometown. Disclaimer: I don't ever recommend this as normal training. I'm a firm believer in rest where the body recovers and grows stronger. However, I was curious how my body would react to normal mileage but on consecutive days. After reading Jamie Summerlin's book about running across America in 100 days where he averaged over 34 miles a DAY, I was curious. I'm also thinking about my goal race/event in mid-October where I'll run 31.2 miles, 50 miles, and 13.1 miles on consecutive days in the mountains. What I'm finding is...not much! I'll admit I felt a little "something" beneath my left kneecap yesterday but it went away overnight and I felt nothing this morning.

Yesterday was magical. I don't know any other way to describe it. I had to be done running by 5:30am in order to make it to work but I wanted my 10 in beforehand. It should be illegal to sound the alarm at 2:45am but I did...and I got up. I was glad I did within moments of walking into the dark kitchen because a full Mr. Moon was shining in the back window and illuminating the backyard. Oh yes...the clouds have finally disappeared and just in time. I got the espresso brewing, had a banana and by 3:45am, I was on the road. It was clear and in the mid-60s but humidity was still high. I left the shirt at home and headed on out under moonlight and through layers of fog resting on the earth. I took the route towards the center of town first where porta-potties were (just in case) and headed on back to be home around the 5 mile point to pick up my bride who wanted her own 5 miles. As I got home, there she was running towards me and we were off into the country where all were asleep and the clouds rested in the lowest of areas over cornfields and soybean fields. It was P E A C E F U L beyond words. The moon casting our shadows all around us, sweat dripping everywhere, and not a car around. It is runs like this I am forever thankful for. How amazing to just take it all in from the clear sky with the stars, the moon, the silhouette of treetops, farm silos, fence lines, and that 6 foot plus tall corn...to the "clouds" resting in the valleys. As we entered our last mile yesterday, I said to her "You know we are running right into the cloud" as we went down a gentle hill. It was then I was so glad I didn't have a shirt on because the cool, moist air over me felt amazing. We could still see (our pupils had to be crazy-dilated) but we were in it and running through it. And people wonder why I run so much... :)

So I'm feeling great, being smart, and refueling as I should to stay healthy and strong. I sit at 65 miles in the past 6 days with one day to go. It's already my highest mileage week in probably 3 or more years. Here are a few amazing photos from my run today. Enjoy!
Sometimes...we just need to look UP!

The extremely short section of trail at the community park...I'll take it!

Barrel Run Crossing Winery and Vineyard .. I ran around their front vineyard.

Adjacent to the winery are these tracks which happened to have this in my way.

Sunrise at Rootstown Community Park over the man-made lake

Sunrise at Rootstown Community Park over the man-made lake

Barrel Run Crossing Winery and Vineyard

Barrel Run Crossing Winery and Vineyard

Barrel Run Crossing Winery and Vineyard

Barrel Run Crossing Winery and Vineyard

Barrel Run Crossing Winery and Vineyard ... photo bomb! :)
Enjoy the rest of your week, friends...and keep Running Happy!

No comments: