Monday, February 15, 2010

M-Cubed for 2/15/2010

Monday Morning Musings for February Fifteenth, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Ahhhh....another Monday and another beginning to the work week! Oh wait a minute, I'm a government employee. Long live the weekend!

- Here's a big 'ol "Way to go!" to the "Hopeinator" and her Trinity Trotters. Hope started this group in the North Canton/Uniontown/Hartville area and it has really become a huge success. I finally got the pleasure of running with them on Saturday. Hope and I started at 5:30am on the snow-covered roads of Hartville before the main group met at 7am. Many in the group are newer to running with goals such as spring 1/2 marathons. To see 12-14 folks meeting on a morning where temps are in the low 20s and snow covers the roads was pretty cool. Hope's husband even trolled the course with aid like electrolytes, gels, and sugary snacks. I ended up 20 miles for the day and was really inspired by what Hope has done by being a leader in her community. It was a great, snowy morning on the many Hills of Hartville!

- Instead of pretending I don't feel anything, I'll be honest. I definitely felt my troublesome adductor muscle on Saturday's run. More pronounced from 15 miles and on, I'd say. Very distinct discomfort at the insertion point. No issues anywhere else including the iliopsoas muscle. Perhaps the candy coating of snow on the roads on Saturday contributed. Who knows? I would say the discomfort was a 3 out of 10 which according to Dr. Shah, is the limit for running and not running. Outside of that, the 20 miler was no problem at all. I wasn't even tired afterwards and felt nothing on Sunday. I swear, my body thinks a 20 miler is a snack anymore and the real long distances are the main course. Good thing, right? If that one pesky muscle would just cooperate, I feel like I'd be unstoppable. In my mind, I keep thinking that MMT in May is so much hiking and not as much running so all is good. Stupid rationalization? Who knows. Unfortunately, no one is going to tell me what to do and what not to do. They all know better.

- Week 2 of P90X kicked off last night with the arms and back workout follow by the 15min ab ripper X. I swear, that arms and back workout is masochistic. It's essentially multiple ways to do pull-ups and about 4 different ways to do push-ups, some seemingly impossible to me right now...like that diamond push-up. Spread your fingers on each hand, put them together to form a heart then spread your legs wide and do the push-up. That is NOT easy. Tony Horton, the leader on the DVD, even wants you to take your chest to the floor. If I take my chest that low...it is NOT coming back up! The military push-up and keeping the arms pointed back instead of flaring out is also a bear. As for pull-ups, all I have is a band right now to "simulate" the pull-up. That's not cutting it. I need a pull-up bar. No band can simulate lifting this carcass vertical above a bar. Ab ripper, on the other hand....oh yea, that's a burn like none other. "I hate it...but I love it." So with all the core/upper body work I'm doing, I hope it is strengthening the central area.

- The Oil Creek FA 50K run is on schedule for 12 days from now at Titusville Middle School in Pennsylvania. Reports from the area are saying that inches upon inches of snow are on the trail but it does get used so it's passable. Along with the yellow blazes adorning the trail, we should be good to go. 7am departure time! I can't wait to wear out my camera battery out there in Oil Creek State Park. I'm expecting a really great showing of over 20-30 runners so a good time is brewing! For those of you considering this run, or the Oil Creek 50K, 100K, or 100 Miler this October, registration is expected to open next month!

- My neighbor plowed our sidewalk yesterday. There is 2 FEET of snow where he plowed. Even better, more snow is expected today. Enough already! The 2nd half of February is here which means that March is not far away. I've got my John Deere mower tuned up and it ready for green grass. Surely, there is grass somewhere outside my house. I just don't recall seeing it anytime recently.

- "I got a feeling..." as the Black Eyed Peas would sing...."that the trails are going to come alive this Spring"..."oh yes, the trails are going to come alive"..."caveman mentality is wearing thin, treadmills are getting worn out, the desire to kick up some dirt, splash through stream crossings, and to see the green "pop" on the trail and spring arrives"..."oh yea, spring is coming."

- A trip down south isn't far away. This time last year, I found myself on the Appalachian Trail (AT) in northern Georgia. I hope to find that same trail-head again in March and spend a day from sunrise to sunset on that trail. I cannot wait to crest those mountain tops...to see those views...to bask in the glory of creation...raw and true, just the way it's meant to be. Alone. Peaceful. Ahhhh......

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

No comments: