Monday, October 26, 2009

M-Cubed for 10/26/09

Monday Morning Musings for October Twenty-Sixth, Two Thousand and Nine. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Great job to those of you who enjoyed the perfect fall weather yesterday at the Run with Scissors Marathon and Double Marathon+ on the trails of the CVNP. I would have loved to have been out there if there was room for it in the schedule but 13.5 miles on the trails on Saturday was my limit.

- Speaking of those 13.5 miles, I met up with 7 others at 6am on Saturday morning at Pine Lane for a half-n-half light/dark trail run. With sufficient light not coming up until after 7am, headlamps lit the way for much of the run over the Valley Bridle Trail and the trails of the Virginia Kendall area. 4 of the 7 I hadn't run trails with before so it was a bit of a meet-n-greet morning as well which I'm always a fan of. It was a fun run filled with scaring-the-ladies, talk-that-will-remain-on-the-trails, and a run beneath some of the most gorgeous foliage anywhere. That foliage will be gone soon, though. With every brisk wind came lots of leaves to the ground. I don't think they can hold on much longer. Bare trees cometh! 11 other pics from the run.
- While on the trail run, I checked out the start/finish area of the Winter Run for Regis to better understand the starting and finishing trails for both Loops A and B before I post the route description. Tanya (race director) sent them to me and they can be a bit confusing back behind the Ledges Shelter. I'll post them soon but outside that, the course is very simple to understand. It follows the traditional Winter Buckeye Trail 50K format with 3 loops in one direction and 2 loops in another direction for the 50K runners...just not on the Buckeye Trail. You all will enjoy this sold out race!

- If you're planning on coming out to December 26th's 3rd Annual Water Falls Run and not on Facebook, you may not know that the Western Reserve Trail Running (WRTR) Awards Celebration is going to be following it immediately afterwards at the Winking Lizard in Peninsula. More details to follow but plan on starting the group run at 7:30am and then heading over for lunch and drinks @ the Lizard right after. Don't miss this! It will be a blast! Pics from last year's 70+ runners on the Water Falls Run.

- For those of you Casting Crowns fans, this is the week! Friday night in Akron! Doors open at 6pm with the concert starting at 7pm. Their new CD is out soon, too, and half of it can be heard already at their promo website along with a pre-order for their CD for only $10 including free shipping.

- It's pretty much official. I've got a new job with the Navy. It's a leadership job in one of the best jobs available for a Navy Supply Corps Officer. Instead of drilling in Cleveland, I'll be driving down to Columbus once per month, instead. Details later about the job but it's an opportunity of a lifetime in terms of my Navy career. It just kinda fell in my lap, too. I never thought I'd get this kind of opportunity so soon. I won't officially graduate from the Navy Supply Corps School in Athens, GA until March 2010 but in the meantime, I'll transfer to this new command and start the new job. I'm already salivating about going back to Athens in March...I can't wait to go back to that vegan cafe, The Grit. I see many, many meals being had there. YUM!

- I guess I should mention my Oil Creek recovery. I limited myself to 5 mile easy, short runs last week with lots of rest and lots of deep foam roller work on my upper left leg. Honestly, it felt better and better all week and by Friday, I had no soreness or pain. Saturday morning's trail run was a test to see where it stood in terms of recovery. I thought that the soft trail surface could only help it. Well, it certainly is not healed. It once again made its presence known loud and clear during the run and I'm thankful I held to the planned distance and didn't run further. Nothing positive could have come from more time on that leg. I won't say that it hurt like it did at Oil Creek...not even close, but it's not healed, either. Tonight, I'm getting a deep tissue massage and hopefully Lori will make some headway with it. I will continue on my low mileage/foam roller routine this week and see how it goes. Between now and the Bobcat Trail Marathon in 13 days down in Burr Oak State Park, I'll do some 5mi morning runs with one 2hr trail run this Friday morning at West Branch State Park. That'll be it. I won't be dropping out of Bobcat but I see a very casual, easy, fun pace that day versus a "racing" pace...even though that's what I originally envisioned. I've got to get this leg back to 100%. My prime training time is knockin' on the door with cool weather and winter running just around the corner. For some runners, they hibernate and head to the (d)readmill when it gets cold. For me, it's my calling card to get out there. This extended Oil Creek recovery is slowing me down but hopefully for not much longer. I did have a nice 5 miles beneath the stars this morning. I'll take the positive anywhere I can find it right now.

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!


1 comment:

ultrarunner (Brian Philpot) said...

I forgot about the race sunday I was going to check it out. I did go past as the was going to run pinelane and rack some nice fall miles.