Thursday, July 23, 2009

This is the last time...

Every time I (you) have a big event coming up like graduation, vacation, a new job…or in my particular case, the Burning River 100 Mile Endurance Run…I go through a series of "This is the last time I'll _________ until after I run 100 miles." Know what I'm talkin' about?

Some recent and future examples:

This is the last haircut I'll get…

This is the last time I'll shave until Monday (the 3rd of August)...

This is the last trail run before I run 100 miles…

This is the last "beverage" I'll have before I cross the BR100 finish line…

This is the last day I'll clock out of work until I run 100 miles (this one hasn't happened yet)…

This is the last time I'll wear these trail shoes until August 1st…

This is the last time I'll kiss my wife until I see her at the Boston Store...

This is the last time I'll sleep until Sunday… (what I'll say as I lay down on Friday night, July 31st)

This is the last good night sleep I can possibly get… (next Thursday night)

This is the last time I'll have breakfast until Chef Bill cooks it for me at the Finish Line on Sunday morning...

The next time I see the sunset, I'll be donning my headlamp and running into the night…

The next time I eat, it'll be at the graciousness of the BR100 volunteers…

This is the last time I'll see my kids until I hold a BR100 buckle in my hand…

This is the last time I'll sit in my car until after I run 100 miles (3am, August 1st)

The next time I drive my car, it will have a BR100 sticker on the back window…

This 2nd crack at the Burning River 100 Miler will never happen again, so I'd better make it count and cross that finish line.

No excuses. No looking back. One way and one way only…forward to the finish line.

No comments: