Monday, July 20, 2009

M-Cubed for 7/20/2009

Monday Morning Musings for July Twentieth, Two Thousand and Nine. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Congratulations to all of you who ran the Buckeye Trail 50K this past Saturday, especially if it was your first ultra-marathon. Also, a big thanks to the volunteers who made it all work. Without them, no events would take place...ever. Also, big kudos to Vince at Vertical Runner for a really nice job on the new finisher's medal...a sweet one-of-a-kind departure from the same 'ol, same 'ol round medal. Results here.

- Not able to participate on Saturday due to my military commitments, I did zip out of Cleveland on Saturday afternoon and scoot on down to the finish line to see the last few runners across the finish line and help pack up the finish line into the VR trailer. The results were taped up and I'll be honest, I was jealous of a fantastic day to be on the trails. Seeing so very many fellow trail runners up there and so many first-timers reaching their goals certainly brought a smile to my face. The next best thing to crossing the finish line myself is seeing others cross it. It really is.

- Well, it's countdown time again. T-12 days until the Burning River 100 and my 2nd crack at the 100 mile distance in 2009 and hopefully, my 2nd finish line. After my confidence booster on Friday's 26.2 miler on the trails, I am going to focus now on staying healthy and watching my diet closely. I'm going to draft up my drop bag strategy as well and will post my plans here within the next week or so.

- Physical ailment update: I just love the irony of running for 5hrs on the trails this past Friday and having it make my right knee area feel better. That's just plain awesome. Now that pesky middle toe on my right root? Remember how I jammed it 2 weeks ago? Well, it's not black-n-blue anymore, but it is puffy and a bit sore. I really only feel it when barefoot around the house. It doesn't affect my running or walking in any way. Every else is "all systems go!" Honestly, when a friend of mine (John Price) is currently running the Double Vol-State 500K "crazy" ultra-marathon of 624 miles (he's already been running for over a week), I'd better have a pretty good reason for any complaining!

- Another great edition of the WRTR (Western Reserve Trail Running) Newsletter is in the works. Since Burning River kicks off on August 1st, the normally issue date each month, it'll either go out early or on Monday, August 3rd. Regardless, it'll be a great issue with a preview of the YUT-C 50K in Mill Creek Park in Youngstown (lookin' for a 50K this fall? Run this one and you won't be disappointed!), a race report from Muddy Paws from a runner's perspective as well as a race report from the BT50K from someone who ran their first 50K. Our featured trail runner....well, he once whispered in my ear: "You got anything left?" during the 2008 Winter BT50K where at that time, I was in 2nd place with less than a mile to go to the finish. Inspiration will be overflowing in this issue! Oh yea, updated WRTR Race Series Standings will be out as well through the BT50K.

- My plan for the next 12 days: well, I don't have much of one. I had a great, crisp run this morning around home and will sprinkle these in over the next few weeks. I would like to get out for 60-90 minutes on the trails one last time. Options will be either the Thursday night group run, Friday morning, or Saturday morning. I'm just going to wait and see what pops up. My vote is for Thursday night since afterwards includes some socializing at a local watering hole where they'll be plenty of post-BT50K chatter as well as building jitters for Burning River.

- I think I've got a pretty good handle on the rest of 2009. It's sad even to say that, isn't it? Already, we're past the mid-point of July and in just over 1 month, fall high school football games will be kicking off, county fairs will be in full swing, and school busses will be everywhere...ugh. I've loved our "extended spring weather" so far in northeast Ohio, by the way. So for the rest of 2009, I'm thinking this: the obvious Burning River 100 in 12 days followed by the 25th Anniversary of the Labor of Love 5-miler run in downtown Akron on Labor Day, the YUT-C (Youngstown Ultra Trail Classic) 50K on September 19th, 7 weeks after the BR100, the Akron Marathon (marathon #24) one week later, then wrapping up 2009 with marathon #25 at the Inaugural Bobcat Trail Marathon on November 8th in Burr Oak State Park in southeast Ohio, about 3hrs from home. By the way, lots of local runners will be down at Bobcat so you all need to jump on the band-wagon and come on down, too! After Bobcat, I only expect to do the "staples" like the Thanksgiving race in Akron and the 3rd Annual WaterFalls 30K FA Trail Run on the day after Christmas down in the Valley. Good times, y'all!!!

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Brett S. said...

Good luck and I hope those shoes hold up :)

I think I can guess the local trail runner who is reporting on the 50k.

Thanks for the kind words on the 50k. I didn't have anything left :)