Monday, August 26, 2013

M-Cubed for 8.26.2013


M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for August Twenty-Sixth, Two Thousand Thirteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Welcome to the last week of August 2013. In our home, the "seasons" of life switch as school buses begin to roll again, homework becomes the norm, and bedtimes for the kids actually matter. On the good side, I will welcome the re-introduction of 'routine' back into our lives.

- To homeschool or not to homeschool...that has been the question. Much more than me, my wife has investigated this path heavily. There have been days where we were totally sold on it then others in the polar opposite direction. Ironically, our kids have literally begged us to homeschool them. In the end, they are heading back to public school...at least for now. We continue to do the best we can and make the most wisdom-filled decisions we can and hopefully, we are on the right path. I'm sure the option will be revisited again as well as alternative schooling options but for now, it's back to the buildings where their mom and dad once roamed the halls, too.

- So my 24th ultra marathon is a wrap and compounding that with my 27 marathons, that brings my "grand" total of a 'marathon or longer' to 51. One thing I didn't want to waste yesterday morning was a decent length recovery run. In October when I run the Trilogy, I need to run two ultras back to back. As I woke up yesterday, I felt groggy, sore, and not wanting to run. However, I insisted (to myself) I would and to stay the course. True to history, I was perfectly fine. I headed out and zero soreness actually was present. If anything, my left calf was sore due to the charlie horse I got while writing my race report! I ended up running my favorite 10 mile hilly route through the country and was pretty fast in parts where I stopped paying attention to pace. Even better was that I got through 3 podcasts from James MacDonald which I've been wanting to do. It was a beautiful, cool sunrise run. I captured this photo around mile 2. I always look for this white horse along my route.

- See the MTV Music Awards last night? We cut the cable a year ago so I did not and I wouldn't watch it, regardless. But, the social media feed was buzzing this morning with Miley Cyrus' performance. Isn't seeing her these days like watching a complete disaster in the making...in slow motion? Once the innocent Disney girl and now? Sex, skin, and zero self-respect of any kind. Trainwreck. Here's one of many headlines from last night. I know it's too much to ask but it would be great if someone close to her that knows better would step in and reign her in.

- I got my funnel cake. I got my sausage sandwich. The 2013 county fair is a rap. Thursday was kids' day so all kids got in free. We got an all-day ride pass for our kids and my wife and I tag-teamed morning and night to maximize the number of rides they could enjoy. It was a great time and I especially enjoyed watching them on the ferris wheel. Giggling, having fun, and just being sisters. Nothing can buy that! We stayed until around 9pm when both girls took one final ride: back to the big wheel where they squeezed into one seat with their grandpa. Not too sure they'll fit next year!
That's them...one row up from center. :)
- Speaking of "fitting"... never mind. That word and what I observed from the youth of today at the fairgrounds is an interesting combination. Gone are the days of acid-washed jeans, 80s hair, and pegged jeans. I once again received my annual culture shock at the fair. "Where are you moms and dads? Do you even care? Do you even know?" Maybe we should talk about homeschooling again...

- Thoughts and plans now turn fully to October when I'll challenge the West Virginia Trilogy. I'm not entirely sure how to best train for this as I think my entire game plan that weekend should be: 1) Keep my head screwed on straight. (that's debatable considering I already signed up for this event!); 2) Don't get injured between now and then.; 3) Don't get injured during the race. 4) Do some "tired" training runs to simulate the stages.; 5) Set up camp in our backyard to make sure we have everything we need to live out there for 3 days in a tent. 6) For real this time: no more racing until the Trilogy! :)

- If you hear a boom today, that's our 3' in diameter tree crashing to the ground in our backyard. Rotting on one side, it's height, width, and power worry me every time a heavy storm rolls in, especially given its proximity to our home. Hopefully by days end, it'll be firewood and the house un-touched. Here's to a tight winch pulling it in the correct direction, little to no wind, and safety for all!

Have a great week, everyone, and Run Happy!

No comments: