Saturday, August 31, 2013

End of Month Report: August 2013

It is the norm that I run 160-180 miles per month throughout the year. I don't ever have a monthly goal or even a weekly goal, for that matter. This month, though, was filled with more opportunities to go long more often, a 10-day challenge where I hit my 100-mile goal and an unscheduled 50K race last Saturday. Put those things together and I just wrapped up my highest mileage month...ever. 223.3 miles were sealed and delivered after this morning's 7 mile, 100 PERCENT humidity run through the country. It was a pretty good week, too. After last Saturday's 3rd fastest 50K, I ran a recovery 10 the following day, took 2 days off then ran each day following including a half marathon on the trails of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park yesterday. 46.7 miles since Sunday and still feeling strong, except for the thick, humid beatdown this morning.

Pure Flow 2 pair #4. Cool colors, eh?!
I'm also at 380 miles on my 3rd pair of Pure Flow 2's. Since it seems like 400 miles is the magic number for me on those shoes (and many stores tell folks 250 miles), it was time to bring out pair #4 today and break them in before a last-minute decision to race this Monday...Labor Day. So there is this 5K up in Cleveland as part of the Oktoberfest that is taking place on the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds. An entry gets me 2 tickets to the Oktoberfest afterwards so it's a win-win! I've been wanting all year to run a 5K to see what I can do. My PR (personal record) in the 5K distance is something like 19:41, set over 10-12 years ago. I have NO CLUE what I'm capable of in that super-short distance...but I'd LOVE to go below 20 minutes. An exact 20min finish equates to 6min, 26sec per mile average. Given a crowded start, I'm sure, that's going to be difficult. However, I'm not the person who pays a 5K entry fee to jog to the finish. I have every intention of running as smartly as possible and giving it everything I have. It WILL be a lung-burner, for sure...and I see no other way to approach it. If I can cross the 1 mile point within a few seconds of 6:30, I'm confident I'll be able to do it. If I'm stupid and am closer to 6min, I'm dumb...period. Once it is spent in a short race like that, there is no getting it back. If you want to know how I did, come back here around Noon on Monday and check my Twitter feed to the right. I'll tweet my results there after the finish. Race starts at 11am.

Leaning forward, September will be a month of maintenance, staying injury-free, and getting some long back-to-back runs in. The West Virginia Trilogy is getting larger in the distance. Only 6 weeks to go until a stage event of 50 kilometers, 50 miles, and 13.1 miles...Friday thru Sunday...in the mountains...surrounded by fall foliage. I.can't.wait.

For now, it's family time. Labor Day 2013 weekend is in full swing and we're ready to enjoy it.

Run Happy, friends!

No comments: