Monday, August 12, 2013

M-Cubed for 8.12.2013

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for August Twelfth, Two Thousand Thirteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- I.am.beat! I am more than ready for a day off as I near the end of my 10-day challenge. Thinking back to Jamie Summerlin's run across America last year in 100 days where he averaged over 34 miles a DAY, I am in more awe than ever. Just amazing. Today is Day #9. This morning, I rocked out 7 miles with shooting stars and cool/moist air. The tally sits at 95 miles. Clearly, I'm in easy striking distance of my 100 mile, 10-day goal so Challenge #2 will certainly be met in less than 24 hours from now! So far, the days have been as follows: 20, 6 and 4 on day 2, 7, 10, 9, 14, 11, 7 and 7 today. Tired but injury free! (looking forward to REST on Wednesday!)

- A great weekend is now history. We spent it partially with extended family catching up on "life" in general and also taking the final steps in joining our new church family. Yesterday, we were presented to the church and gave a brief testimony about ourselves and introduced our family. It is great to finally be a part of a church family that is so real and authentic. "Shiny, plastic people" we are not! We are very thankful for where we find ourselves right now and what the future holds.

- I know many people look at me and call me crazy. But seriously, when you look at the photo below, do you need more reason to get out there? This was the sunrise on Saturday morning. Out of my 11 miles, I did the first 4 with my wife and we watched the sunrise together while listening to the birds waking up. Just beautiful and full of glory.

- Flag football. Ugh! I am a runner. Just that and nothing more. Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, I marched in the band and ran the 400 as a freshman. Outside of that, I did nothing in sports. On Friday (after running 14 in the pouring rain), I met up with about 11 Navy sailors for an hour of flag football. It was the first time I had met any of them and boy did I get my tail handed to me! Running for hours is one thing but football is quite another. Add in slippery grass due to the rain and I did the best I could and quickly was in need of shower #2. It was great to be out on a wet field playing football with fellow active duty sailors...and to be one of them. :-))))

- Lunges. I used to be a stretcher but now I run and do nothing else post-run. I'm against stretching cold muscles pre-run but stretching post-run is advisable yet I don't do it. This past week, I read David Willey's editor note in Runner's World (read it here) and one thing he does is lunges. This past week post-run I have begun doing them from the tip of my driveway to the end at the completion of the run to stretch out muscles I NEVER stretch out. In the past, I always pull a muscle when I do lunges because I do them cold. Now, everything is heated up and I'm feeling good so far. I recommend reading his note for some tips and humor, too! It's in the front of the Runner's World that just arrived in mailboxes this past week. I'm also wearing my Road ID religiously now...just in case.

- Texting and Driving. I will admit that I do it. My opinion is that most do...not all, but most do. Over the weekend, a friend was in an accident and posted the following 34min documentary on texting and driving. My family and I sat down and watched it Saturday. As I said to my family and I say to you, the reader, now: I promise not to text and drive...and that includes Facebook and Twitter. Eyes on the road from now on. I implore you to take the 34min and watch it yourself.


- Can you believe it's almost halfway through August already?! The Fall stuff is already out at the stores and school is already in session in different parts of the country. Another two weeks for us, though.  Too fast....too fast. But first, I will get my annual funnel cake at the county fair. Next week!

- To close out today, I'd like to officially give the "Welcome!" shout out to my wife and her new pair of Brooks Pure Cadence...the stability shoe from the Pure Project line. In the true nature of fun, I conducted the first meeting of the Pure Project Anonymous shoes and snapped a photo. :-))) She is doing super good at running and will be running another half marathon this weekend. "Keep rocking it out, Babe!"

Have a great week, everyone, and RUN HAPPY!

No comments: