Sunday, January 20, 2013

(untitled)

Over the past year, I've been many places
Places that were rich
And places so poor

Most recently I visited
An area of famous residences
Iron gates and fortresses were never-ending

I went seeking to see
Something grand, something impressive
I left wondering "why?" and amazed

Country music stars, highly accomplished celebrities
Big cars, fat checks, 10 million square foot homes
But why, and what about those down the block?

500, 2000, 10,000 square feet
I ran by them all this morning
More, so more, but will there ever be enough?

To run, to be free, to breathe in fresh air
I am more thankful for that than any world possession
Each step after another, enjoying the freedom

Then there's love, a selfless love
Shown to me, and me to those most important in my life
For nothing else truly matters

"Lord, you are my all in all.
I need no more than You decide to give me.
For when we meet, nothing will I bring."

Why accumulate? Why gather? Who or what are we trying to impress?
Love selflessly today, love like there will be no tomorrow.
For when we do leave this place, only a memory will remain.

And with these thoughts,
Only a few thoughts come to mind.
They are Your words, Lord...Your words which fill to overflowing.

"Now, I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

Amen.

No comments: