Monday, September 27, 2010

M-Cubed for 9/27/2010

Monday Morning Musings for September Twenty-Seventh, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- First and foremost, congratulations to Marjie for finishing her 5th 1/2 Marathon this past Saturday at the RoadRunner Akron Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, and 5-Person Relay.  I was on the sidelines to cheer her on and of course, take pictures of all my running peeps along the way.  It really must have been a great year this year because I've lost count how many times I've heard "That was really a great race.  I'm doing that every year." throughout the weekend.  Way to go, Babe!  Leading up to the race, I spent open-to-close at the Vertical Runner booth at the Expo at the John S. Knight Center in Downtown Akron.  We were busier than any previous year and even had to send someone back to the store to get more nutrition products...we were nearly sold out by mid-afternoon.  It was great to see soooo many friends at the Expo!  Secretly, I think that's my real reasoning for working there the past 2 years.  Plus, getting to "sell" again, fit runners for shoes, and answer burning questions that some have is a ton of fun and something I really miss doing.  Here are the 67 pictures of the race that made the cut after taking about 180 of them.  I caught more people "flying" above the ground than ever before!

- Sadly, Fall and the WINTER is coming.  I do love the fall but I do not love what comes next.  Still, with that comes January and one of my favorite races, the Run for Regis 50K, Marathon, and 1/2 Marathon.  I had the pleasure (when I couldn't sleep past 3am one day last week) of building the new website for it.  The date is set and registration opens up in October.  Check it out here.  Makes you a little chilly, eh?!  148 pictures from last year's event.

- I'm not an Oprah watcher.  However, some episodes do sit me down (after I overhear the subject matter from Marjie watching it) and I watch them.  One was this past week...twice.  There's a new movie coming out called "Waiting for 'Superman'."  No, it has nothing to do with superheros at all.  Quite the opposite, actually.  It's all true and mainly a documentary on our broken education system.  As a parent of 2 elementary age children, I'm very concerned about the state of our system in our country.  The stats in our country are not good and we continue to fall further and further behind the rest of the world.  If you think we're the leader in the world in this category, your head is deep in the sand.  That is far from the truth.  We have much to learn from other countries and some very good public schools and charter schools around our country.  Here's the site for the movie.  It's not playing nationwide yet but based on the flurry going on in the media right now, I expect it will in the not-so-distant future.  2 big things I think could help: a system that doesn't reward crummy teachers (ie: the teachers unions that protect them) and longer school days (ie: 8am-4pm) to get the teaching done that needs to be done.  There are some fantastic teachers out there which should be built up, strengthened, encouraged, and given the tools that they need.  For the ones who simply don't care and don't perform, they need to go and make room for someone who does.  It is our country's future they hold in their hands!  My children, your children, OUR children!

- I think I'm a "Gleek"...that's code for a big fan of Fox's hit show "Glee."  Marjie and I finally got a chance to sit down and watch Tuesday's premiere last night....great!  I will admit, though...the preview of tomorrow night's "all Britney Spears" episode was the highlight.  I'm no fan of the "current Britney" but I will admit, I was a fan when she started out.  If this episode is anything like the preview, it'll be great.  I may have to break my "DVR Only" rule and watch it live tomorrow night.  Preview it here.

- Curious about our 2 wars going on right now in Iraq and/or Afghanistan.  I hope you are and aren't living in a box, ignoring that your fellow Americans are 1/2 a world away defending freedom and hunting terrorists that have sworn to wipe us all from the face of the Earth.  Well, there is an alternative to CNN and FoxNews.  The Pentagon Channel is a completely neutral (politically) site with daily video newscasts covering the military and both wars.  See our troops delivering the news and the real deal...not what our media chooses to NOT show you.  Bookmark it and visit it often!  The Pentagon Channel.

- As yet another work week begins, let me encourage you to "choose" to have a great day and week.  I have to consistently do this myself and more often than not, it's a challenge.  Still, it's a choice we have to make and one thing I consistently remind my girls of.  Make today great and forget about all the "stuff" that simply doesn't matter.  For in the end, "After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box. ~ Italian Proverb."

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

No comments: