Monday, September 13, 2010

M-Cubed for 9/13/2010

Monday Morning Musings for September Thirteenth, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- First off, big congrats to Dan DeRosha who completed Ironman Wisconsin late last night in over 15 hours.  Swimming for 1hr, 50min, biking for over 8hrs, and a full marathon afterwards...WOW!  Nice job..and you even moved up nearly 50 spots during the marathon.  Also big congrats to all who ran the Punxy 50K in Pennsylvania over the weekend and to Vince Rucci who owns Vertical Runner.  He won the race in under 4 hours...AGAIN!  Way to go, Vince!

- Dietsinreview.com asked me to write about nutrition and ultra-running recently and I did.  It'll be published soon and when it is, I'll be posting it here.  I had to fit it all within 350 words (which was not easy!) but I got it done.  Pretty cool!

- Wow, what a difference the proper software makes.  This past weekend, I spent it at Great Lakes Naval Base, north of Chicago.  As I posted a few days ago, I spent Saturday on a self-guided walking tour of the city...my first visit ever to the Windy City.  Once I finally returned home yesterday, I was able to view the photos I took in raw format with my Canon GS11 on the proper software.  They turned out really good!  I took just my favorites in that format and posted them last night on my photo blog here.  To view any full screen, just click on it.  Some are great for screen savers, if I may suggest.  :-)

- Saturday was spent in a regional leadership meeting of about 12 officers, including myself.  Most were very senior Supply Officers and the discussion centered around our Supply Officer community here in the Midwest.  During the lunch hour, we all attended a retirement/change-of-command/9-11 Remembrance combination ceremony.  To remember 9/11/2001 while in uniform on one our most historical Navy bases in the country was just perfect.  Highlights were the 12-shot live cannon fires out in the parade field (which rocked the buildings, by the way), the live-rifle gun salute, the rifle team demonstration, and the playing of Taps.  Due to rainy weather, we were inside and those things happened just outside the open doors where we could see and hear.  The fly-over was canceled due to the weather.  Great Lakes is a magnificent base and is dubbed the "Quarterdeck of the Navy."  For those of you who don't know, the Quarterdeck is the area you pass through when boarding or leaving a Navy ship.  Great Lakes is home to Boot Camp for all enlisted sailors in the Navy so that's the reason for the name.  I didn't go here in 1991 but instead went to Orlando, FL where boot camp once was.  Back then, it was in San Diego, Orlando, and Great Lakes.  Due to base closures and downsizing, all recruits now enter via Great Lakes.

- This Saturday is the Youngstown Ultra Trail Classic 50K/25K or as we call it...YUT-C.  It's held within the beautiful Mill Creek Park in Youngstown, OH...about 30min east of my home.  Instead of running this year, I'll be volunteering and helping to make sure the runners are well fed, encouraged, and stay on the correct trail.  YUT-C is one of most favorite races and wouldn't dare miss it.  I'm looking forward to lots of pictures and seeing my friends yet again!  Both races are sold out, too!

- If you're running the Akron Marathon, be sure to stop on by the Vertical Runner booth...less than 2 weeks from now!  I'll be working there from open to close and typically, there's some deals to good to pass up so be sure to say "Hi!"  Best of luck to the many of you running "The Bird" this year!

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Mr. P said...

Hey, thanks again Nick! It was an amazing experience and I'm already wondering when I would want to do another one! We should coordinate a tri next year! - Dan