Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tonsils Out! Perfect.

I'm just a tad bit critical of, well....everything. I look at everything through eyes that are a bit perfectionist, I's just the way I'm wired. I'm super, super far from perfect, but I do strive to cross every "T", dot every "I", and try not to miss a beat. Our visit to the Children's Hospital of Akron on Monday was nothing short of...well, perfect! We were all very impressed with them. From the days leading up to Monday where they called with literally turn-by-turn walking instructions from the parking deck to check-in on the fourth floor, they never missed a beat.

We arrived at the prescribed time of 7:30am and I was close to pay attention to the directions to walk from my car and sure enough, they were dead on. Also unlike many medical visits, we never sat more than a few minutes without being called back. I know this because just as I grabbed onto their free, super-fast high speed internet access, I had to close my netbook again to go to the next phase of the process. They really did a great job not only putting us at ease about our daughter's surgery to have her adenoids and tonsils removed, but they spoke TO her own 7-year-old language that she understood. The blood draw, the talk by the anesthesiologist, the talk by the lady who let her pick out a flavored chapstick to flavor the mask that would put her to sleep, and finally Dr. Griffin...who took her by the hand and walked her back to surgery. It was, by all I could witness through my critical eye...perfect. It was 9:45am when they walked back and we were told it would be about 45min until they'd be finished. We were directed to the flip side of the 4th floor where recovery was. Marjie and I grabbed a snack in the Kids' Cafe (me, an extra-hot, non-fat, white mocha from the atrium espresso bar) and at 10:15am (yea, 30min later), Dr. Griffin walked on out with a wide grin, telling us how perfect it went. Seriously? 30 minutes? Wow. A few minutes later, they called us back and Madeline was crying, shivering, and afraid having just woken up from the anesthesia and just wanted her hands held. Sitting bedside, her recovery nurse charted every few minutes on her laptop, gave us some ice chips to feed our daughter, and monitored everything to make sure everything was perfect. About 30min later (at best), we were moved over to recovery #2 where we'd hang out until discharge later and when grandmas and grandpas and whomever else could visit. Before heading over, our nurse delivered a present...a handmade blanket. Super soft, double-layered, and covered with animated cats. (by evening, the frilly ends were being braided by our tonsil-less little girl) Over in recovery, we basically sat by her side, gave banana-flavored popsicles when she'd have them, orange-flavored sherbert, water, and Gatorade. Visits by my brother (her Uncle Jim who works at the hospital with Air Bear...their medical-transport helicopter) and both grandparents were very appreciated. By 3pm, we were on the way home with only a stop to pick up some pain medications and at the RedBox to pick up Planet 51 for the girls to watch.

Here a few days later, the hospital and Dr. Griffin's office have both called to check in on her. They saw it through to completion, for sure. I don't doubt that they'll be calling again soon to check in on her. Even balloons and a gift showed up at our doorstep from our church. Her older sister (by 2 years) has been the best big sister, too. They both asked for each other before we even got home on Monday afternoon. Watching that sister-bond in action was really cool. They may pick on each other like siblings always do but when it mattered, they came together like opposite poles of a magnet. Even a custom hand-written note from her older sister calling her a "hero" was made which nearly melted my heart to read. The innocence, the perfection of such a simple letter... Simply precious.

Thanks to the many, many of you for your messages, thoughts, and prayers. They were felt and answered! I know this was a simple, outpatient, surgery for us and nothing as compared to the many things that take place daily there at that hospital, but the whole experience was just as close to perfect as we could ask for. We are blessed and thankful to have such an amazing facility so close to us and others. We hope to not have to use them in the future but there is undoubtedly some peace of mind knowing they are there.

1 comment:

Hopeinator said...

Way to go Katherine! She even navigated a key change like a true pro! Happy Day After Father's Day, Nick!