Saturday, July 5, 2008

Toe Update, 4 Mile PR

Hey everyone! A shocking Saturday morning: I can't remember in recent history when I slept in past 6am and wasn't on the trails. It is a beautiful, brilliant blue sunny sky this morning and a great morning to run, but bigger and better plans lay ahead later today.

To update from my last blog entry last weekend. I took Sunday completely off and did an easy 7 before work on Monday to "test" out my toe. It felt OK at best. Throughout the workday, it felt better and better and less noticeable. My massage therapist got me hooked on this $4 cucumber foot cream a few months back and I'm a huge believer in it. It has rapid healing properties and in my opinion, is the perfect running "maintenance" cream...especially for the high mileage runner who beats up the feet constantly. Anyway, it did it's job and I was back to normal by Tuesday morning's 9 miler. Wednesday was 10 before work, Thursday off, and I raced a July 4th 4-miler yesterday. I haven't seen the results yet, but I know I PR'd with a 26:11. Congrats to many others who took home hardware and all represented VR by flying the VR colors proudly: Susan who took 3rd overall female, Aaron who I believe (but not sure) was 2nd in his age group and PR'd at 24:45, Sean Mooney who placed (not sure where, though), and Rose who I believe was 2nd in her age group. (the race was the 30th Annual Firecracker 4 miler in Stow, OH) Afterwards, I met my family for the Stow Pride Festival Parade. 1hr, 40min long!!! The LONGEST parade I've ever been to. Loved it! In particular, I loved the live reinactment of the Iwo Jima Memorial. That was an awesome tribute to our servicemen and women who have gone before and continue to serve today.

THE PLAN:
We are leaving the Happy Days Visitor Center at 3:30pm this afternoon (mile 70.5 of the BR100) and heading to the finish. Jim Chaney will be filming this section to post on YouTube. Check out the video he shot below of the Boston Store to Pine Lane section. (re: this is the leg I blogged about last week....remember the unplanned "time trial"?!) Nice job capturing the essence of the trail, Jim!

After we finish later tonight, I'll crash for a few hours of sleep and then meet up with the VR group at Oak Grove to run 22+ miles of the Buckeye Trail 50K. This will give me in the mid 50s for mileage between today and tomorrow and great training for the BR100 only 4 short weeks from now. I plan to take my camera today so hopefully, I'll have some pics to share late on Sunday.

Happy Trails, everyone!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats on your PR Nick! (:

Nick Billock said...

Thanks, Kim. It was a good run. HOWEVER, looking back over the past 3 days, I should've stayed home!!!! Race before a 30-mile trail run?! What was I thinking?! Thanks again.