Saturday, July 26, 2008

Good Friends, Family, Good Times

Ahhh, what a relaxing day and weekend so far. It started last night with my last deep tissue massage before Burning River and let me just emphasize, "deep" tissue. Lori once again did an awesome job on me and guess what, I was twisted yet again! Basically, my lower torso was not aligned with my upper body. This makes total sense as during the 50K, I'm sure I twisted and turned just about every direction throughout the event. My right hamstring was in perfect shape but my left required a lot of work....aka: more DEEP tissue work....yikes! Waking up this morning, I felt awesome and ready to run. Again, I can't recommend Lori enough to anyone looking for a massage therapist.

This morning, I set up the VR Group Run to take off from Lock 29 at 6:30am this morning. We had 19 runners show up for between 12 and 14 miles on the Towpath. Today was a leisurely pace for nearly everyone as many of us were coming off of the BT50K last Saturday or tapering down to Burning River.

Afterwards, about 7 of us enjoyed breakfast together on the outdoor patio at Fisher's Cafe & Pub in Peninsula. Those 12 miles will be just about it until Burning River except for a few miles early this week. The plan is to take Thursday and Friday completely off and no more than 10 miles before then.
After stopping at Vertical Runner on the way home for some more BodyGlide and a handful of Hammer Gels, I headed home for a planned family day. Since Chef Bill gave me the running tour of the Gorge Metro Park in Cuyahoga Falls a few weeks back, I wanted to get back there with my family with a leisurely stroll through the 1.8 mile trail and see the waterfall. My sister-in-law, niece, and nephew are visiting from Colorado so we all headed on down. Gorgeous day to be out there. All had a great time! The kids' ages are 9, 7, 6, and 5. You'll notice here that I'm wasting no time aquainting them with the beauty of the trails. It's never too early to start them on the right "path" to follow in life! Afterwards, we enjoyed dinner at Parasson's in Stow....one place I've been going to since the mid-1980's and absolutely love! Then we were off to my parents' homemade ice cream shop "Billocks' Ice Cream" in Rootstown. Think "Handel's Ice Cream," but better! For me, it was Double Chocolate Peanut Butter tonight.

Last but not least, we're finishing up at dinner and my phone rings. Nick V. is on the other end. He was calling because his scheduled got free next weekend and wanted to know if I had lined up a pacer yet. Well, I had just got done reading Wyatt's article in Marathon and Beyond about the inaugural Burning River 100 last year and how vital his pacer was. I also recall Vince being incredibly grateful for Greg pacing him in at Mohican. I didn't want to ask anyone but secretly hoped someone might offer. So just in case Nick hasn't heard it enough yet, THANK YOU for volunteering yourself! I know it's going to be lonely out there and I'll need the emotional and mental support big time. Nick V. is the one in the red VR tech tee in this photo. This was shot during the 2007 Summer BT50K...my first ultra and I think his as well.

One other cool tidbit: Ohio Governor Ted Strickland has proclaimed August 2-3 Burning River 100 Endurance Days. See the official proclamation here.

Well, it's time to sit back, rest up, eat well, get plenty of sleep, and continue to count down to 5am Saturday. If you haven't bookmarked it yet, here is the link to the LIVE webcast to track all runners during the event. The list hasn't been updated yet, but I've been assigned Bib #119.

Thank you to so many of you for your support! Stay tuned!

Happy Trails!

No comments: