- I hope you all had a wonder Christmas this past Saturday. For us, it was filled with tradition, a wonderful Christmas candlelight service where my oldest daughter sang "Away in a Manger" as a solo, ripping presents open in lightning speed on Christmas morning, and of course, lots of great eatin'! Marjie posted some Christmas photos on her blog over on the right if you'd like to check them out. On Christmas night, I got together with my side of the family and after setting up the tripod, we captured a pretty good family pic. From my left, my brother, Bill, with his wife and 2 girls, then me, Marjie, and our girls, then my youngest brother, Jim, with his wife, daughter and son, then my only remaining grandparent, my Grandma Mary, followed last but not least, my mom and dad.
- Yesterday was the 4th Annual WaterFalls Run. We had a really good showing, especially considering that it was a Sunday morning and the day after Christmas. Around 55 faithful met at 8am and more joined the fun at 9am at the Boston Store. It stayed true to tradition with stops at each of the 3 waterfalls and lots of fun and fellowship was had by all. Of course, I used my Gorillapod to it's max extent with my waterproof Canon and captured 250 photos. 184 made the final cut and you can see them here. Thanks to all who came out to celebrate 2010 on the trails! See you on December 10, 2011! I've looked at the calendar and it is the ONLY day in December next year that works. The ideal days, December 24th or 31st are Saturdays and too much is going on in people's lives those days and the 25th/1st are holidays! Plus, December 17th is NEO Trail's URINEO at Mill Creek Park...and the 3rd is the 2nd Annual Bigfoot 50K..so Saturday, the 10th it is!
- As you probably noticed, the President signed into law the repeal of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell rule in the military. I've already made my opinion known here on my blog about a month or so ago on a blog post, but to help others understand the procedure now, here's how this works: the military must certify that they can implement the repeal and how they'll do it, then give that word back to the President. Once all 5 services have done that, it will be implemented. There really isn't any timeline to this, either. For the time being, it is still in force. The Marine Corps, actually, was first to step forward by saying it will lead the way in implementing this change and re-stated it's commitment to defending the Constitution and following the orders of the Commander-in-Chief. I share the Corps' approach to the repeal.
- Normally, I write a year-end post. Not sure if I'm "feelin'" it this year. 2010 was about as different as can be as compared to 2009. I led a completely different life (outside of my 7a-5p job) and certainly view many things different...some good, some bad...and most, I don't really want to blog about. So 2010 may just close out and my thoughts as typed up to this point will simply stand on their own. I'm ready for 2011. It also will be a year like none other and starkly different than 2009 and 2010. At least I have some constants, right? Those constants sleep inside my home and are there for me day and night.
- If I don't post again this week, I want to wish you and yours a wonderful New Year. Make no resolutions, make only permanents changes and stick to them. Statistically, resolutions just don't work. It's the firm commitment to change and a new direction that work...and surrounding yourself with people that will keep you accountable and provide the necessary kick in the tail when needed!
Have a great week, and Happy Trails!