Monday, January 18, 2010

M-Cubed for 1/18/2010

Monday Morning Musings for January Eighteenth, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- It's the time again to roll on in to the BMV here in Ohio for my 3-year renewal of my license. I've been looking forward to this as the old picture has 50 extra pounds on that body. Time for a refresh! I also am going to abandon my vanity plates that I adore..."RUNTRLZ". I simply am not going to participate in the fleecing of Ohioans by the current administration running this state. They have doubled the fee just to have those plates. FIFTY bucks as an additional fee on top of the already-high fees (that were also raised for 2010) just to retain the plate. I love the plate but not that much. Not called a tax, but at its core, it truly is. Instead, I will take the FREE route and get U.S. Navy Reserve plates. Yea....that'll do just fine!

- Yesterday was my 4th time at the annual Run for Regis. The Run for Regis was held on trails around the Virginia Kendall area of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, one of my favorite areas. Being only a fun run, runners can run 8, 13, 18, 26.2, or the whole 31.2mi/50K distances. Sticking to my physical therapist's directive of no more than 13.5 miles, that's what I did. But in true "me" fashion, I took pictures...lots of them...148 published to be exact. There were probably about 30 or 40 others that didn't make the cut and were either blurry or foggy that I deleted. The fog was really heavy and there was a ton of moisture in the air. However, my new Canon D10 did great. I'm including a few of my favorites throughout M-Cubed today but the whole collection can be viewed here.

- So what about my "injury"? I hate that word...I really do.
Anyway, it's a good thing I had screws in my shoes...20 of them. Those trails got really sloppy due to the mid-30s temperatures and a lot of snow still on the ground. Without the screws, I would have made a marginal situation very bad. So in the end, I stopped at 13.5 miles and it's good that I did. The problem area on my upper left leg was apparent and was "speaking" to me to stop and call it a day. I still wore my smile and pretended I felt nothing but truth be told, I felt it...every part of it. I'm trying to stay positive...and will rest a lot this week and continue my strengthening exercises. My physical therapist ran the Houston Marathon yesterday in 4:30:01. She's taking a few days off to recover then I'll be back to see her this Friday. I have a feeling that I will be seeing her a few more times than originally planned. Although, I do feel she is nearly at the limit of what she can do. The ball is in my court. She can only shred my muscles so many times. I need to get strong.

- It is really awful what is going on down there in Haiti. So much humanitarian aid and money is flowing down there right now. The real challenge now is the logistics of getting it to where it needs to go. The U.S. military has taken over their airport and is now starting convoys to move the aid. The convoys, though, are being done as they would be in a war zone like Iraq or Afghanistan, fully armed and protected. There is a lot of violence breaking out as the desperation grows so convoys must be protected to get the aid where it needs to go. We have no idea how bad it is down there. On another note, Royal Caribbean, the cruise line I am a big fan of and the only one we vacation on, has made a not-so-popular move. They have a private section of Haiti called Labadee. I've been there several times. It's essentially a section of beach-front with all the luxuries that cruisers want. It was unaffected by the earthquake and is heavily guarded at it's perimeter. Well, the cruise line is going to continue to stop there and conduct business-as-usual. I don't know who is making the "business" decisions at RCCL, but I gotta say, that's just bad business and will only produce bad PR. I have do imagine many of those who are booked on one of those itineraries are throwing a fit. It just doesn't seem right for half-naked bodies to be sunning themselves and drinking margaritas on one side of an island while on the other, people are still buried alive, others are starving for food and water, and people are being piled in mass graves. Bad Royal Caribbean. Bad.

- Lastly, I found this video published on Friday by the Washington Post of a demonstration that was held on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. We've all heard Martin Luther King's speech, but probably not this way. Pretty cool to watch, especially as a parent of kids the same age. Happy Martin Luther King Day!


Happy Trails, everyone!

2 comments:

Sensationally Red said...

Great pictures, Nick, you really captured the gloom of the race with your new camera and thanks for the picture you took of Debi and I at the lodge. I ended up using it on my blog!! Hope your injury is feeling better. Yes, I agree that Royal Caribbean made a very bad decision in Haiti.

kron said...

Love the pics and I only could dream of that as I battle sciatica. Yes "running on one cylinder" sucks. Get healthy!!!

Kron