Monday, May 25, 2009

M-Cubed for Memorial Day, 2009

Monday Morning Musings for May Twenty-Fifth, Two Thousand and Nine. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- There are a few holidays that dig deep down to my core as an American. Veterans Day, the Fourth of July, and today, Memorial Day. Sure, it's a "federal" holiday which equates to a day off for me and many others, the annual parade through my hometown, but this day is a day of remembrance. It's a day set aside to stop and think...to remember those who have laid down their life for your freedom...for MY freedom. Generations before us, these brave men and women have done so and continue to do so today. Please remember them and fly your flag not just today, but every day of the year. I also can't help but think of those in harm's way today...half a world away. There is so much strife in this world and our U.S. servicemen and women are in the middle of it. Unfortunately, the mainstream media nor hardly any media (unless you watch the Military Channel) covers it unless there is a "newsworthy" event worthy of covering. Still, thousands upon thousands are over there, separated from their loved ones, voluntarily serving you and me and maintaining that popular word you'll hear often today: freedom. Support them 24/7/365. (I've gotta bring back the picture you see below. Back on 9/1/07, I re-entered the Navy. Previously, I was on active duty from 1991-2001 in the enlisted ranks as a nuclear mechanic but in 2007, took an oath as a Navy Supply Corps Officer. Today, my training is nearing completion in the Supply Corps and about this time next year, I'll be trading in my shiny white uniform for some desert camouflage gear. Marjie's support is very much appreciated and I'll thank her again now in advance for the huge weight she'll have to bear in the inevitable future that awaits. THANK YOU!)
It is days like today, Memorial Day 2009, that I stand by my decision to serve yet again. Let me correct that: WE decided to serve again. That decision was a group one. I am only 50% of the equation.

- Well, it's 12 days and counting until the Kettle. Saturday was a great example of the awesome trail running community that is thriving right here in northeast Ohio. As a sucker for the trails, I couldn't resist a carrot being tossed my way last night (Sunday). Marjie was working and my girls were at her parents for the night and Jim Chaney posted a Facebook message about a short trail run at 6pm. As I told him, resistance is futile. I gave in and had a great run on the Buckeye Trail with him and the other Jim C., Jim Christ. A relaxing time at the Winking Lizard followed before getting home to watch the Cavaliers fall to Orlando once again. Ugh...they're in a pinch, now! Must win on Tuesday in Orlando!

- There is light at the end of the tunnel. With last week being such an awful week at work, I'm thankful for a 3-day work-week this week. This Friday is my scheduled Friday off and I'm off today so "Yeah, Baby!!" Then next week, I'll work Monday-Wednesday and then leave for the Kettle on Thursday so that's another 3-day work-week! "Yeah, Baby x 2!!" Time's flying now...I'll be at the starting line before I know it in La Grange, WI.

- Honestly, my mind isn't really spilling much else on this last Monday of May. Here's one last tribute on this Memorial Day 2009. Have a great week, everyone!

Happy Trails, everyone!

No comments: