Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thankful to Run...especially at 16F

It's been a tough week so trails were on order today. The VR groups were meeting at 6:30am and 7:30am but I hit the trails (Pine Lane and the Buckeye) just before 6am. With all the snowfall, I wasn't sure what to expect, but the trails are in PERFECT shape right now. Basically, with the amount of snowfall and some melting, all the rocks, stumps, roots, etc. that we trip over are covered over and the surface is smooth and comfy for running! I headed out to the Boston store then back on the Towpath to meet the 7:30am group....overall, I knocked out a necessary 17 miles today...oh yea, it never got over 16F during the run...PERFECT!

I've been meaning to post this...I took the pic last week when we had 25-30mph winds dropping the windchill into the lower single digits. I rarely pull out the balaclava but this was one of those days....as always, I was glad I headed out. Later that day, the windchill dropped the temps into the negative area.

Now comes some inspiration...or maybe just thoughts pouring uncontrollably out of my skull. Regardless, one (or many) may ask, "Why Run?":

Why Run?
For those who did and can no longer
For those serving this great country
For those who have given the ultimate sacrifice
For those who have been injured so badly and cannot run
Why Run? I run in honor of them...my fellow soldiers...and runners

Why Run?
To get away and listen...
To get away and prioritize...
To get away and set goals...
To get away and return refreshed and renewed...
Why Run? I run to be a better husband, father, and friend

Why Run?
To live a healthy lifestyle
To live to my fullest potential
To challenge myself again, again, and again
To inspire others to join me in person or spirit
Why Run? To express my thankfulness for the ability to take the next step

Towpath Trail near Lock 29, Feb. 16, 2008

1 comment:

Susan said...

That explains it! I couldn't understand how you were running with us and then turned off early... I checked your blog to make sure you weren't sick or something! Good job, but take it easy if you're feeling run down.