Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Recovery and Moving On

I think the 7 marathons, 1 ultra, maintaining the 40-50 mile weeks through the winter months, and keeping the long runs in the 20-mile range have definately taken their toll on me. Now hold on just a minute....I didn't say I'm "burned out" or have "crashed,"...just a bit worn down! Since the 50K only 11 days ago, I just haven't "bounced back" like before. For some reason, these hamstrings of mine can't seem to relax like they should. Still, I've joined the VR group for speed workouts at the Kent State indoor track the last 2 weeks and they've been great workouts.

For the workouts, I've used McMillan's pace calculator to target my intervals. I input a 3:10 marathon finishing time and go off of the long-distance runner interval pace chart. For the past 2 weeks, I've consistently been 5-10 seconds faster than the target time...which is a good sign considering I am early in the season and my goal marathon is sub-3:15 this year. Here's what we've done the last 2 weeks:

Last week:
Warm-up 2 miles, then....
400m x 2 (400m recoveries), then pushups till fatigue
800m x 2 (400m recoveries), then situps till fatigue
1200m x 2 (400m recoveries), the wall sit with 35lb weight on lap, till fatigue
400m x 2 (400m recoveries), then cool down...PureFuel bar and Hammer's Recoverite

This week:
Warm up 2 miles, then...
800m, 2-3min recovery
1200m, 2-3min recovery
800m, 2-3min recovery
1200m, 2-3min recovery
800m, 2-3min recovery
Cool down 2 miles.....PureFuel bar and Hammer's Recoverite

Time for a reset. Lori (my massage therapist) is going to work her magic on me this Friday and hopefully get these hamstrings under control. The target still remains, though: qualify for the Boston Marathon in 2008...hopefully as I celebrate my 20th marathon.

Happy Trails!

"Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore." - Lasse Viren, former Finnish athlete, winner of four gold medals at the 1972 Summer Olympics and 1976 Summer Olympics

No comments: