Monday, March 30, 2015

M-Cubed for 3.30.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for March Thirtieth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- "In like a lion, out like a lamb..." That's how it's supposed to go, right? March came in like a lion...and thank goodness, all I see is rain for tomorrow and sunshine and 54F on April 1st. I just hope that's not an April Fool's joke! I'm encouraged to see the daffodil beginnings popping up in mulch beds everywhere. Come on, Spring!

- I read an article this past week titled "How Choosing Comfort Ultimately Leads to Pain" that was written by a 46 year old man, only a few years older than me, that talks about his reflection back on his life. He talks about not pursuing different passions early on and where he is today. It hit home on many angles and this one sentence really resonated: "If my younger self had met me today, I would have punched myself in the face." Ditto. Close friends can attest...I can't even recall much of my childhood and my early years serving in the military. It's a fog at best. So many had a dream of what they wanted to be when they grew up. My dream? I was approached by a Navy recruiter at the age of 17 and because I had no dream, no drive, no pursuit, I followed his lead and signed the many dotted lines. The rest, they say, is history. While I don't regret my journey, I do regret my lack of passion for someTHING. The seed that so many seem to have planted early on...to be a nurse, attorney, fire fighter, advocate, entrepreneur...I had none of those. What I did have was a pursuit of integrity and excellence in everything I did and do and that has paved much of my path and kept me out of trouble. Today, I know what is important to me. I know that whatever vocation I choose is more of a means to an end of loving my wife then children, providing for them, and loving/serving others. My vocation doesn't define me and isn't what I want to be remembered for. Husband, father, friend...an authentic man who stood tall for those entrusted to him, loved them and protected them. That's who...or what I am called to be. (You can read the article here.)

- This past Saturday wrapped up the CrossFit Games Open for 2015. This last workout was a couplet of rowing on the Concept 2 rower followed by the almighty thruster. There was no time limit...just a number of reps to complete. 27, 21, 15, 9...calories on the rower then number of thrusters...back and forth until complete. Since I completed that online rowing competition a few months ago, my rowing has become strong. The thrusters, on the other hand, are a struggle, mostly because of my limited flexibility. In the end, I still did really well and probably my best effort of the 5 weeks. I did enjoy the Open and especially getting to meet a lot of the other members of the gym on the Saturday workouts. Being in the same class everyday when there are 6 different classes each day prevents crossing paths with many. This was a way to cross paths with many and support them as well towards their goal of finishing the Open. Week 21 wraps up today and the 4th of April will mark 5 months complete. Still loving it.

- So I've been mentioning the "true test" coming up at the Bull Run Run 50 Miler on April 11th. Well, I pulled the plug on that race yesterday morning. I won't be going to northern Virginia to tackle the 50 miles and am at peace with that decision. I have been questioning the "why" of why I was doing it and quite honestly, I was struggling with that answer and that's not good going into a race that'll take me 10-12 hours to complete. So it's done. No BRR50 and no regrets. To celebrate, I suppose, I set out along the Cuyahoga River yesterday afternoon for a full sun 8 miler with a few friends. It was mid-40s, breezy, and beautiful. I broke out a brand new pair of Brooks Pure Flow 3s, too, and enjoyed running in shorts. I'm still a runner...I swear! :)

- Bristol and I have spent a lot of time together this past week, too, while my family has been on the move. I've got caught up on The Blacklist, I watched Denzel Washington's "The Equalizer" and dove into another NetFlix series "House of Cards." I even began reading a new book on grace from Lee Strobel called "A Case for Grace" that is a series of stories of grace. Very good so far. Bristol is often this close as she snuggles on the couch.

- I was thinking a lot yesterday about that Germanwings jetliner that went down in the Alps last week. If you have been truly disengaged from all news sources, it had just reached cruising altitude when the pilot excused himself from the cockpit and upon his return, the co-pilot, alone in the cockpit, would not let him back in. While leaving the plane in autopilot, he dialed down the target altitude to 100 feet, the lowest setting and it made a gradual decent until crashing into the side of a mountain, instantly killing all on board. Sounds from the cockpit voice recorder never hear his voice but hear the captain banging on the cockpit door, begging him to let him in. I cannot fathom the horror of that captain, the passengers in the plane knowing they were going to die, and now the families as they re-live this very horror in their minds of their loved ones dying in such an awful way. Regardless of what they find in the co-pilot's life, my heart aches for the families of the dead. It also serves as a reminder to make sure I'm square with God each and every day and that I kiss my wife and kids daily and tell them I love them...for we will not know the time nor place when He will return nor when our ticket is going to get punched.

- To wrap up today's relatively short M-Cubed post, I stumbled across this post yesterday on Gibson's Daily Running Quotes Facebook page and I really resonated with it. I have said that there are certain benefits of the run that can't be realized in the gym...any gym. This nails it. Have a great week, everyone!

"Running is NOT just for those who are fit and healthy and strong. Running is a life-breathe for those who struggle with physical and mental illness, self-doubt, loss, anger, regret and other unspeakable pains. Why? Because running has the power to heal, to bring perspective, to instill confidence, to restore sanity and to make us believers again. This is why I run."

– Susan Husband, www.solesearchingmamma.com

No comments: