Monday, February 16, 2015

M-Cubed for 2.16.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for February Sixteenth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- I seriously didn't know my car's outside air temperature indicator had the capability of showing a negative double digit temperature. Minus 13 displayed this morning on the way to the box. Luckily, calm air so no wind chill to record but dang! Beautiful sunrise, though, through the icy trees.

- Released in August 2013, Lee Daniels' "The Butler" is a movie that begins in 1929 and follows the path of a young boy who eventually becomes the butler for 7 different U.S. presidents in the White House. It's rated PG-13 but we watched it as a family and glad we did. Inspired by a true story, it depicts America in a time of slavery, racism, and the struggles within. Forest Whitaker delivered an incredible Oscar-worthy performance, too. HIGHLY recommend if you haven't yet seen it. I found it at our local library for free. Follow this link for the official site and trailer if you want to check it out.

- Since the last M-Cubed, my wife and I had the pleasure of journeying down to Miami and eventually to both Key West and Cozumel, Mexico. We went on FamilyLife's 2015 "Love Like You Mean It" marriage cruise...the 5th one they've done. FamilyLife chartered the Carnival ship "Ecstasy" for a 4-day cruise having sold out 2000 staterooms of married couples. Guest speakers included authors, well-known speakers and musical artists such as Steven Curtis Chapman, Tenth Avenue North, Andrew Peterson and Jaci Valasquez. If we're connected on Facebook, I wrote up a full review/report yesterday morning if you want to check it out. If you have any interest in something like this and have any questions, please reach out soon. Well over 400 couples re-booked for the 2016 cruise before we even finished this cruise. Next year, it's being extended one year and will go to Jamaica and Grand Cayman on a larger, newer ship...the Carnival Victory. Find all the details for next year here.

- Today, I wrapped up Week #15 of CrossFit. Over the past week, my wife and I did workouts with body weight only and no lifting as we didn't have access to anything. I really missed that but got my fill this morning. Another personal record set and this time in the back squat. My previous PR was 195 pounds and my goal was to back squat my body weight which is between 200-205 pounds. I ended up hitting 215 pounds! The WOD was filled with pull-ups and a new movement to me called the "cluster." It's a combination of the squat clean and a thruster. Lots of things going on there! It was great to get weight up over my head again. Afterwards, I decided I wanted to climb the rope for a second time. Below is the 30 second video of me climbing. You'll see the wrong way followed eventually by the right way as I near the top. I wrapped my right shin this time after losing all the hair last time. After this one, I did one more climb. Arms were sufficiently spent!

- 2.16.2015

- Bull Run Run 50 Miler: Last Thursday, they held the lottery for the 350 available slots at this April's Bull Run Run. I was not selected so that race won't be on my calendar any longer. I'm starting to wonder what in the heck I'm supposed to do this year regarding my running. I'm totally floundering here and it's definitely a bit unsettling. Currently, the only thing I'm officially registered for is late April's Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon and May's Medina Half Marathon. Not a single ultra committed to...yet. Truth is...I'm waiting for Civilian Military Combine to release their 2015 schedule. UPDATE on Monday afternoon: I was wrong about Bull Run Run. I DID get in via the lottery and paid the entry fee today. So 50 miles in the mountains of northern VA on April 11th it is!

- I'm no cook and I proved it again last night. In Hammer Nutrition's most recent edition of Endurance News, they included a recipe for Banana Oatmeal Recoverite Cookies. Those are the ingredients and I added in honey and crushed walnuts. The taste is there but dang, they're dry. I have a bunch of them and had another with my morning espresso this morning. Yum. Honestly, they are really good but need something to wash them down. For those who don't know, Recoverite is Hammer Nutrition's recovery protein drink that I swear by. Shameless plug: you can save 15% off your first order by clicking on the Hammer logo at the top right of my blog!

- Many of you, whether you are a Christian or not, have most likely heard of the Bible passage that talks about women submitting to your husbands. (read the passage in Ephesians here) It's one of the most misunderstood passages ever. It's actually more of a charge to MEN to love our wives like Christ loved the church (um....He died for them!) and for women to follow their godly husbands. So many hang on to that "women submit!!!" part and see nothing else...WRONG!!! On the cruise last week, reference was made to this passage and the speaker said something to the tune of: "Ladies, sometimes 'submit' means you need to duck so God can smack your husband upside the head!" Classic. I loved it. It's true, ya know. Sometimes we (us men) need smacked around a little bit to get our heads screwed on straight and our priorities realigned. How does the saying go? "Better check yourself before you wreck yourself!" Too true.

- To close today, I leave you with what you see below. I think it's a great reminder no matter what you want to apply it to. Relationships, parenting, marriage, a race, and even a WOD!


No comments: