Monday, January 26, 2015

M-Cubed for 1.26.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for January Twenty-Sixth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Last week of January 2015! Springtime...still out there in the distance but one step closer. I'll take it!

- Any chance you're a Parenthood fan? THIS Thursday is the SERIES finale. Six seasons and this is it. My wife and I came to watch Parenthood late but thanks to Netflix, we caught up and have watched season 6, the final season, right on schedule. It is a FANTASTIC show that has no comparison on network TV. We are really going to miss it and wish somehow that they'd keep it around. So many storylines, so many things to relate to, so "real" in many ways. To the Bravermans...we will miss you all!

- Oh mercy! As you know, I've been "competing" in a 4-week rowing competition called Row'd Royalty. As a new rower, it's been a steep learning curve but I've come a long way in a short period of time. Last Wednesday at 3pm, they announced week 3 of 4. It began with a 500m row then 30 burpees OVER the rower (jump or step over the rower before each one) then a whopping 2000m row. Wow. I eventually couldn't see because of the salty sweat filling my eyes...but I got it done. Week 4 will be announced today at 3pm and I'll have until 3pm next Monday to submit my score. I'm anticipating a LONG endurance row for the final workout.

- Got 1 minute to spare? Sure you do! This brand new, hot off the press commercial was just published a few days ago. You'll notice they Navy has dropped "A Global Force for Good" from the end and will continue from this point forward. This is a GREAT commercial as was the one that preceded it that launched this new campaign.


- On Saturday, I had a choice. Stay home alone while my family went in multiple directions or take one of my great friends up on an offer to join her at a workout out near Pittsburgh, PA at CrossFit Steel Town. I made the 90min drive for the 10am class and ended up being so glad I did. Typically, I don't know the workout before I show up on any given day but she was "kind" enough to share with me Friday night: Partner WOD that was 36 minutes long (WOW!) that went like this: 30 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. During rest, our partner worked. First it was 30 seconds of dumbbell snatches then 30 seconds of kettle bell swings then 30 seconds of 24" box jumps then 30 seconds of burpees then 30 seconds of wall balls then 30 seconds of rest. Our count built on each other. After 6 full rounds, we racked up 727 reps! Yea, it was a lung burner/heart thumper but we both loved it. I met her (Dannielle) in the ultra running scene several years ago and have stayed friends ever since. We were both deployed overseas together in 2011, just in different time zones and countries. My fondest memories are watching A Few Good Men at the same time on the Armed Forces Network...which they played ALL the time! After the workout, we along with her husband Eric got a bite to eat at the local Market District and caught up on life before the drive home. Awesome way to spend a Saturday! "Thanks, Ripper!"

- I'm always in a constant search for knowledge so I took an hour or so yesterday to get certified as a judge for the upcoming CrossFit Games. It was an online course that was well worth the 10 bucks. If nothing else, it taught me proper form and technique on things I do everyday. As for use, I can now be a judge at the upcoming 2015 CrossFit Open that'll happen locally and if I really wanted to travel to the Regionals, I could apply to judge there. (no intention)

- Seen American Sniper yet? If not, you have surely seen the news of it's absolute destruction of the box office. It's now the biggest hit EVER by an R-rated film and in revenue numbers, is millions of dollars ahead from any other movie it's competing with for "Best Picture" at the upcoming Oscars in late February. You've also probably seen the hate being spewed at this movie and Chris Kyle. Honestly, I have to be very careful at reading those stories or the comments on them, especially by supposed "friends" of mine in the social media sphere. It's ugly. One of the biggest debates is how his autobiography of the same name told of bar fights and a different side of Chris but the movie kept that out. I haven't read the book so I can't opine on that but SO many make him out to be evil. Was he perfect? Oh heck no. Did he save countless military lives? ABSOLUTELY. He took it personally to defend those he was ordered to protect, often from rooftops as the soldiers and Marines went from building to building trying to flush out the bad guys. Got some hate to spew? Spew it elsewhere and if not, please cut ties with me so I don't have to see your unpatriotic, hateful comments ever again. If you really hate that much, jump on a plane and leave...the country...forever.

- Own a foam roller? Many do yet have no clue how to use it. I have been one of those owners. I've owned a good one for years but never educated myself on how to use it until this past week. If you have one, please reference this video and learn 13 different exercises to properly and effectively use it.

- My quote of choice for today? General George S. Patton has something to say today once again. What do you live and/or fight for?

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: