Monday, January 12, 2015

M-Cubed for 1.12.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for January Twelfth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Did you watch the Golden Globes last night? You'll rarely catch me up late enough to see one of those shows through but I did catch some red carpet interviews and the first hour or so of the night. Typically, the Golden Globes are a pretty good indicator of what will happen at the Oscars and "normally," one movie takes the lion's share of awards, including "Best Picture." Not so this year! It's like the International Foreign Press got together and made sure they were fair and even with the dissemination of awards last night. Total mixed bag. I had a hunch that the new Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. movie "Selma" would clean up but it didn't. It only took home one or two awards. I haven't seen the majority of movies talked about last night but Selma is at the top of the list of ones I want to see. Here are all of the results.

- One disadvantage of cutting the cable over two years ago will be more pronounced tonight than ever. The college football National Championship game is being aired ONLY on ESPN so unless I want to hang out at a bar all night, I'm out of luck. It's a serious bummer that it can't be broadcast on network TV. BUT, ESPN has been kind enough to offer many other options...most for the cost of a cable subscription, of course. Here are there 12 different ways to watch/listen to the game tonight.

- With a full week of CrossFit Monday thru Friday last week, I couldn't wait for Saturday to run long, especially with the frigid temperatures all week. NOTHING was going to stop my run on Saturday. The day presented me with a -2F morning with a -16F windchill BUT beautiful sunny skies. I'll admit...I had some trouble keeping my fingers warm a few miles in and my Hammer Nutrition Heed electrolyte drink did turn into a slushy out there but overall, it was awesome. I expected 15 or so miles on a new route but I ended up with 18 awesome miles. Here are a few shots from the run.
Crossing Mogadore Reservoir, ice fishing was going down! No way you'd catch me on that ice!
Priceless narcissistic selfie, eh?! I had to melt the lashscicles just so I could see from time to time. (a selfie shadow, too!)
 - In case you missed it, I published my 9th post in my Running + CrossFit series, here at my 10 weeks complete point. See them all with the newest first HERE. As I wrote a few days back, Tabata Times published my "Top 8 Things" post and it continues to be shared and read throughout the country. The most common comments I've seen resonate with many other CrossFit newbies. It's awesome to watch it spread!

- A few years back, my wife and I went on a new path of living with less. Over and over and over again, we went through shelves and closets and even had our kids do the same. We've never donated, given away or garage-saled so much "stuff." You can really tell on Christmas morning where the view for me growing up was presents stacked halfway up the tree but for our kids? It looks kinda scarce! We keep it simple, feel bad late on Christmas Eve but then have awesome confirmations from our kids when they love what "little" they got and are fully thankful. I read this quote this morning in one of the minimalist feeds I subscribe to. It's a good punch in the gut if you read it then take a wander around your house.

"Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you, and in this materialistic age a great many of us are possessed by our possessions.” —Peace Pilgrim

- Today is going to be short, sweet and to the point and I'll end with this. I ran across this photo and it's a few months old now but relevant and timeless. Fort Hood is a huge Army military base in Texas. In November, they put out a display again to represent the service-members who have given their lives in both Iraq and Afghanistan since 9/11. About 7,000 single boots...each with the name of the fallen member. If that doesn't rock you a bit inside, I honestly don't know what will. These are our brothers, sisters, moms, dads, neighbors, friends, aunts and uncles. Our nation's sons and daughters. Please remember the families left behind, remember the ones who survived but struggle today with the wounds of war and remember the ones still in the fight this very moment. Freedom is so very not free...it is paid for. (read a story about this memorial here)



Have a great week and STAY WARM!

No comments: