Friday, July 18, 2014

Streak Update: Celebrating 30!

On June 19th, I kicked off a goal to streak indefinitely (see sidebar for definition of this). Today, July 18th, I crossed the 30 day line. Only one little mark on hopefully a goal that lasts a very long time. I thought I'd write up some thoughts today as this marker passes on by.

- 239.3 miles!! All time one month record! Even cooler is that it was a total surprise. I had no intention of doing that. Ironically, my July goal is 231 miles that will even up my monthly mileage for 2014 to 200/month. Yea, I've got a serious case of Runner's OCD. :) If I stay on track, 2014 will be a banner year and will break my personal annual record by 200-300 miles.

- I really like the nudge to lace up every day. There were a few days where I only ran 1 or 2 miles. Mostly, that was because my day was starting extremely early or I slept in. (Here's my tracker.)

- I need to mix it up. I retired a pair of Brooks Pure Flows this month as they hit 400 miles. Along with my knees telling me that it was time to hang up and donate the used shoes, I felt the everyday running on asphalt roads was taking a toll on my knees. Luckily, my schedule allowed me to escape to the trails a few days ago for a few hours of ups/downs/sideways on the single track trails of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Here is just one photo I shot while heading up one of hills under a canopy of green.


- I find it easy to keep it interesting. I have many directions to choose from when I wake up every day and run the route that feels the best and most interesting to me that day and at a mileage that I have time for and want. If I feel kind of achy, then I'll keep it easy and light. If I'm feeling like a million bucks, I head out on my 10 mile or half marathon route. Need to run further? Get up earlier! No excuses! :)

- I acknowledge that no one really cares about a streak but me and I don't talk about it except for here on my blog or a post to the streaking group on Facebook. Outside of that, it's my own little mission and motivator to get out there. What I'm thankful for is that it doesn't feel like a chore or a burden...like I'm slave to the streak. I "want" to get out there and whether one or 22...I'm thankful for every step.

Yesterday's "first light" at my local park
- I sure do love sunrises and I've seen more than ever in the past 30! Winning!!! :))

- Chafing. Yea...running everyday does require more BodyGlide and running shirtless more often. Just a little tidbit I just knew you wanted to know.

- I continue to be thankful for Hammer Nutrition. Their Recoverite product continues to be gold in my nutrition and post-run regimen. Absolutely swear by it and the company. (Nudge: you can save 15% off your first order by clicking on the banner at right and order via that page.)

- More push-ups. During this streak, I started a new routine and that is to stop once or twice (or more during longer runs) to pump out 25, 30, or 35 push-ups. Doing it for a month now has definitely trimmed some fat in the chest and shoulder area and helped "tank top wearing" in these summer months a little more acceptable. :) Being nothing but a runner, my upper body needs help and this new routine has fit in well to the streaking.

- 30 is over but I have no intent of stopping. I really do find a lot of joy out of greeting each day inside a pair of Brooks. I've run in the outer bands of Hurricane Arthur in a torrential downpour, run the past several days in 90%+ humidity and got soaked every time, and during a vacation, got to explore the area which led into what we did as a family for dinner and recreation. Give me a path ahead, a pair of Brooks, and let me go...

No comments: