Monday, April 8, 2013

M-Cubed for 4.8.2013

Monday Morning Musings...a collection of miscellaneous thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.
 
- Windows down, sunroof open, and cruising in the sunshine...and temperatures in the 50s and 60s. It's nice to see that Spring has finally arrived here in Ohio.
 
- It was another good weekend in uniform. Unlike previous months on end, I didn't send anyone off "across the pond" this month. Truth is, so many of my sailors are already there so I don't have many left to send. Overall, a great weekend leading the joint Navy/Air Force unit.
 
- I'm not sure what it is today, but I feel like things are coming down the pipe and I'd better be ready...yet I do not know what they are. The feeling is clear...that much will happen this week in different areas in my life and the week will end much unlike it's beginning.
 
- Last week gave me about 40 miles plus change. That was on 5 days of running (Monday - Friday). The military weekend simply didn't provide the opportunity to get a run in, given my responsibilities throughout. I did start today off right, though, with a brisk 6 under the stars.
 
- I'm really looking forward to the latter part of the month. After turning the big 4-0 (a non-event in my mind, truthfully), I'll run my 27th marathon on the 20th of the month and 8 days later run my 21st ultramarathon. After that, only 2 more events of a marathon or longer and I'll hit the big 50 in combined events. I'd kinda like that race to be my big event of the summer, the Highland Sky 40-miler in the West Virginia mountains over Father's Day weekend but if so, that means I need to add a marathon or longer between the end of this month and mid-June. I'll have to ponder that for a while and see if anything fits.
 
- For many of my fellow trail runners, yesterday was the Fools 50K. Last year, I ran it and ran a negative split. Yesterday, they had picture perfect weather and the course record fell. I missed being out there but was also totally OK with not being there for other reasons. It was good to read so many success stories from the race and goals accomplished. If you're one of them reading this, GREAT JOB!!!
 
- Many of you know about the rescue we adopted from Tuscarawas County Humane Society last fall. Her name is Bristol and she's been a very loving, welcome addition to our home. We had her DNA-tested to determine her breed and that's a joke all in itself. She is a Staffordshire Terrier crossed with a Great Dane and that is mixed with a bulldog mix. Many who see her immediately think pit bull which depending on what country you're in, that's what a Staffordshire Terrier is. Anyway, she's awesome, chock full of energy, she loves on my kids like there's no tomorrow and yesterday, she got her nails painted. Seriously, I can't make that up! While one of them held a homemade peanut butter treat over her head, the other painted her nails PINK! Every time I looked at her last night I chuckled...pink nails on all four paws with a little splatter on her white fur. So darned cute!
 
- Lastly, I just wanted to give you a dose of encouragement this Monday morning. I may know you and I may not. I seriously don't know who all trips over my blog and reads it. What I do know is that we all wake up every morning and put one foot down after the other and start the day. We have different routines, different paths, and different reasons for what we do. We are also all human, flawed, imperfect, and destined for failure and struggles at some point. The good news is that while we are all those things, we were also made with free will. We have a choice on how we'll live each day and what we'll make of it. We can literally choose to be miserable and see the faults and imperfections in others. We can also choose to flip that on its head and bless others through our actions and words. What will YOU choose today? What would others say you chose? What would your kids say? What would your significant other say? Be real. Be authentic. Be genuinely you. Live selflessly vs. selfishly. Seek to regret nothing when the curtain closes on this day...and don't forget to love on and hug those closest to you.
 
Have a great week, everyone.

No comments: