Monday, June 25, 2012

Thoughts on Writing a Book

Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts…
 
I’ve been toying with the idea of putting my thoughts on paper in a larger format beyond a blog and something more permanent…as in a book of sorts. I’ve been encouraged by countless friends and family to do it but have felt the “nudge” to do it. Sometimes, you just need to wait for that light to turn on deep inside and I feel it did yesterday. For now, I’m just trying to organize my thoughts and throw some bullets out there which I suppose could be possible chapters. But first, I think it’s important to establish the “why” of heading out on such an endeavor and say what exactly is the purpose or reason behind the effort.
 
With social media, endless running blogs, and books like Scott Jurek’s “Eat & Run” book that I’m currently working through, there is an over-arching theme in many…the pursuit of something transcendent, something pure, something ….”more.” Almost always, I want to reach through the screen or into the book and shake them because I feel I’ve reached that point or better yet, “tapped into the well” of never-ending fulfillment and joy. Not only have I found it, but I see it in so much around me. Undoubtedly, though, I’ll offend. I’ll offend because it’s counter-cultural here in the U.S. and discounts claims made to the “Universe” or any other inanimate “thing” or “idol” out there. No, I’m not close-minded and no, I’m not being judgmental. I simply believe wholly that the answer is right there in front of every one of us should we choose to see it…and accept it. Running is not a means to grab onto it, either. However, running has enabled me to dive and dive deep. So much that I can’t imagine plugging music into my ears on a run. That would essentially shield me from experiencing something monumentally over the top. So why? What’s the purpose? To tell my story from that of an imperfect person, a selfish person, an out of shape person to that of a person who has sacrificed family time for multiple 100 mile finish lines…to a person who has deployed to war only to have priorities thrown into the blender, life re-organized, to now…where I am now, where running, my spirituality, service to my country and my family co-exist…and what’s coming up. Call it a running meets spirituality autobiography of sorts, I suppose. Will anyone read it? I don’t know but I feel like I need to write it.
 
Some initial thoughts on its framework: 1) Childhood and the pursuit of perfection; 2) Early marriage and joining the Navy as a teenager; 3) Introduction of Long-Distance Running; 4) Our Family Expands; 5) Return to Ohio and Introduction to Trail Running; 6) 100 Mile training and Finish Lines; 7) Re-Joining the Navy and Deploying to War; 8) Welcome Home; 9) Life’s Reset Button; 10) Return to the Trail
 
Of course, there will be a few themes constant throughout and traceable to the present. I would also like to incorporate inspirational quotations to begin each chapter and training/life advice to close out each chapter.
 
Care to comment or opine? I’d appreciate any feedback you’d care to share. Thank you!
 
 

1 comment:

C Zingery said...

A few weeks ago, I mentioned a book that I thought you would like: 'To Heaven and Back' by Mary O'Neal. I mention it again because it contains some of the elements you are considering.... It is more about her 'journey' than about her near death experience, it includes inspirational quotes and Hebrews 12:1 (which makes me think it is meant for you. It might help you frame your thoughts.