Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gobble, Gobble

Ahhh...Thanksgiving morning.  I slept in today (ie: got up at 5:30am) and when I awoke, the house was filled with the smell of TURKEY!!!  In the oven since midnight, Marjie has been working hard at the feast that my parents, brothers and their families, and grandma will partake in later today.  Normally, I would have cut up the bread a few days ago in preps for the homemade stuffing (which is currently centrally located within the bird itself) but my girls finally stood up and took that job from me, thus passing down tradition that has been mine since I was a kid in elementary school much like themselves.  That's always been my job.  Cut the slice into strips then pick up each strip individually and cut 1/2" to 3/4" pieces.  Toss gently over the last few days before Thanksgiving and there you have it, the central ingredient ready for homemade stuffing.

I won't bore you with my long list of things I'm thankful for today.  If you stop by here often, you probably have a pretty good idea, already.  Instead, I'll tell you what is forefront in my mind this morning.  I can't stop thinking about my fellow brothers and sisters in arms halfway around the world.  In Iraq where it is 7hrs ahead, they are well into Thanksgiving Day and in Afghanistan, 8 1/2 hours ahead of us, it's mid-afternoon already.  I do know that my parent command in the Navy shipped thousands and thousands of turkeys to the area so that our servicemen and women could have as much a traditional dinner as possible.  Still, they are in harms way and sustaining the freedom that we enjoy, especially on days like today.  I am also thankful today of Marjie and my girls.  They are truly a blessing to me, each in their own way and uniqueness.  I treasure them more than anything.  I am also thankful for some close and true friends that I shared 2 hours on the trails with last night.  We were on the West Branch Mountain Bike Trails at sunset and had a simply fantastic time and some nice social time afterwards.  Pictures of the run here.

To you all, Happy Thanksgiving wherever you are and whomever you are with.  And please, do your part to reduce the turkey overpopulation!  Turkey coma here I come!  But first, my annual tradition of the Homerun for the Homeless 4 mile run in Akron.  Normally sunny but this year, it is 37F and pouring rain.  Woot!

Gobble, gobble...

No comments: