Monday, October 11, 2010

M-Cubed for 10/11/2010

Monday Morning Musings for October Eleventh, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- Reflecting back on Saturday's post, I keep thinking about the foundations I spoke of...my faith, my wife/children, and serving my country.  I think a good self-check of a true foundation is whether or not you'd spill your blood to defend it.  If not, it probably doesn't justify as a foundation.  I can say "yes" to all 3 foundations.  That's just my opinion, of course, but I think it is a good barometer to know exactly where you stand.  There are many other "priorities" in life but those are built upon a strong foundation.

- Yesterday marked my one-year anniversary since my 3rd 100-mile and most memorable finish ever.  I finished the Oil Creek 100 Miler in 30hrs, 49min one year ago yesterday.  This weekend, I'm traveling back to the small town of Titusville for the 2nd annual event.  I can't wait to see everyone!  I finally purchased an inflatable mattress for the Titusville Middle School gym floor at Target so I'm all set!  I'll be volunteering and hopefully, crewing Shaun Pope through the day/night.

- Reflecting on my OC100 finish a year ago, I spent an hour on the trails of West Branch State Park last night at sunset.  My goal was to mentally relax, take some gorgeous raw photos with my Canon GS11, and take a few jogs around the park.  It was perfect in every way.  I got some great shots and they're on my photo blog, listed in my blog roll on the right side of this page.

- It's $5 Mighty Movie Monday!  The Kent Plaza Theaters in Kent, OH admits all patrons on Mondays for $5 along with a free popcorn.  The icing on the cake is that they give free admission to military.  So, today we're all heading over to see Secretariat.  Looking forward to it!

- We haven't had quality family pictures taken for nearly 9 years.  Recently, friends of ours had theirs taken in Kent and they are absolutely breathtaking.  After seeing the pics, we are enlisting the services of the same photographer and are heading to Kent as well this Sunday for a family photo shoot.  Looking at our friends' album, we can't wait!  "Captured by Kelly Photography" is the photographer.  Cost wise, she is extremely reasonable.

- I've been doing all that I can do to support my local school system and the upcoming 3rd try to pass the emergency levy.  Here's a letter I drafted to the local newspaper.  If it fails again, we are heading down a very nasty dark path in our small community.

- My oldest daughter once again did an incredible job yesterday at church, singing a solo.  Singing for her comes naturally and she's really good at it.  A little more confidence in herself is all she needs!  (she doesn't get this talent from her parents, by the way!!!)  View it here for a limited time.

- I forgot to mention it last Monday.  DietsInReview asked me to write an article about ultramarathon nutrition.  The word limit was extremely small so I found it difficult to say everything I wanted to but all-in-all, I'm happy with it.  Read it here.



Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

No comments: