Monday, August 31, 2009

M-Cubed for 8/31/09

Monday Morning Musings for August Thirty-First, Two Thousand and Nine. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

- August 31st. Wow. The end of our Portage County Fair here in my neck of woods last night indicates the beginning of Fall and the new school year. Time to saddle up, embrace the new schedule, and hang on for the ride! Soccer game schedules, teacher conferences, more traffic on the way to work thanks to school buses, homework every night, it's all here.

- One year ago tomorrow, I took the oath as a Navy Officer and re-entered the Navy. After 10 years enlisted on active duty and a 6 year break, I was back in. With the 2-year point comes a promotion and last night, I got all dressed up in my favorite uniform that I very rarely get to wear and had some photos snapped just as the sun was getting ready to set. Here they are if you want to take a peak.

- Procrastinating about the Inaugural Bobcat Trail Marathon in November? Well, if you do that another day, you'll pay more, too! Registration fee goes up tomorrow on September 1st so get in there today! Don't miss a great day on the trails, some great swag, and the first of many years of a great new event here in Ohio.

- With September 1st comes Labor Day this coming weekend. After possibly kickin' up some dirt on the trails Friday morning, the 20mi Blue Line run on Saturday, I'll hang out in Akron at The Chapel for the 25th Anniversary of the Labor of Love Run. Marjie and the girls will run in the 1 Mile Fun Run and I'll challenge the humbling and hilly 5 mile course. The Labor of Love is the most family-friendly race I've ever been to, has TONS of homemade goodies at the finish line, great giveaways, and a nice grassy lawn to relax on afterwards while Mark Z. from WCRF radio hands out the age group awards. Don't miss it!

- I think it's a strong likelihood that I ran with a broken toe (right foot, 3rd toe) for the Burning River 100. If you remember a ways back, I stubbed it really hard and fell hard during a trail run about a month before Burning River and it was a dark blue. The color returned to normal by race day, it wasn't too sore anymore, but it was still a bit swollen. After the event, the swelling had gone down a bit but today, it is STILL swollen...8 weeks after jamming it. It really doesn't serve much of a purpose given its location but still swollen this long after being hurt?! Who knows! I'll just keep on running! I'll spare you the picture of the day it was stubbed but if you're on Facebook, you can find it under my mobile uploads.

- Many thanks to my brother, Jim, and his wife Bekah for making me another homemade batch of oatmeal yesterday. They first made me some after the Kettle Moraine 100, another batch was waiting after Burning River, and yet another is promised with an Oil Creek 100 finish in October. This one was a total surprise! THANK YOU!

- Great 50F, calm morning run this morning and nothing but sun forecast for the remainder of the day with temps topping out at 70F. This morning's run was one that many of you who have run fall marathons can relate to. Know what I mean when I say it "smelled" like fall marathon season? It was just like that. Millions of stars filled the sky, constellations were easily identifiable and I felt like a million bucks. 6 miles with lots of pickups thrown in while focusing on a mid-foot strike, proper form, proper hand position, a few stops at the high school for rounds of push-ups, and an average pace at the finish of 7:56/mile...dang, that was good! No better way to kick off another week! Much more of these temps and those trees are going to get the signal: time to change colors! Get out there, everyone...this is yet another gorgeous time of the year!

Have a great week, everyone, and Happy Trails!

No comments: