Friday, October 24, 2008

50/50/100/100 in 2009

I'm a planner and a goal-setter. Without goals I feel like I'm floundering about with no real purpose. My family and I have goals, I have professional goals, I have goals related to my career in the Navy, but today I'm pondering some running goals for 2009 (shocker, huh?!). If you'd like to opine, feel free either by commenting below or directly. Before I lay it out, here's the overall driving force: without delving into too much detail, I expect my running goals to go on hiatus for about a year...probably starting in mid-2010. With that on the table, I'd really like to cross the finish line of a 100-miler and since "Mr. BR100" and I have "issues" to work through, the BR100 has to be the one. OK...goal established. Now is the plan for how to get there injury free and prepared.

I learned a lot about myself in 2008. Looking back, I completed 3 marathons (will be 4 after Tecumseh in December), three 50Ks, one 100K, 55 miles of the BR100, and next weekend, the MMTR 50 Miler. A bit much, I think. I learned that recovery is key. Key to mental wellness. Key to the physical repair of damaged muscle tissue. Key to rebounding effectively for the next goal. Rest and recovery is actually difficult when you are feeling really good. When you're on a roll, logging tons of miles, crossing multiple finish lines, you feel invincible. In my case, perhaps not yours, that eventually catches up and results in a feeling of burnout, decreased performance, injury...or even worse, a loss of passion for just "getting out there." I don't ever want to lose that. It's not about my waist-line anymore. It's about the overall quality of life, the community of friends who share a similiar (if not same) passion, and consistently challenging myself to new levels. Keeping all of that in mind, I've been carefully crafting 2009 in my mind. While I love the road and "buzz" of the road marathon, I'm going to leave any firm plans on the table for those. Better chance of one in the Fall, I'd say.

A tentative schedule...for critique and opinion:

50/50/100/100 in 2009

January 18, 2009: the SOLD OUT Buckeye Trail 50K (31.2 miles)

March 28, 2009: Bel Monte 50 Mile Trail Run in Charlottesville, VA

Memorial Day time period (actual date TBD): Green Jewel 100K around Cleveland (62.4 miles)

August 1/2, 2009: Burning River 100 Mile Endurance Run

The schedule allows approximately 2 months between events and lays the groundwork for a gradual build-up to the capstone event but also adequate recovery time and time to rebound before the next event.

Fall events/marathons to be considered at a later date.

For now, I'm looking forward to my road trip to Lynchburg next Friday for the "Masochism" at 6:30am next Saturday. TAPER, TAPER, TAPER!

Good luck to those of you running "Running with Scissors" on Sunday. Great trail conditions!

Happy Trails, everyone!

No comments: